Cannot connect to Webmail/domain- "desired locale" message in Webmail

Apr 5, 2021
Aurora, IL
cPanel Access Level
Website Owner
Hello! We currently have one Webmail user (our office manager) who cannot access our domain OR our Webmail on her computer. This thread from 2015 is very similar to our issue, but unfortunately there was no resolution posted there- https://forums.cpanel.net/threads/the-desired-locale-has-been-saved-to-your-browser.489941/ . We are on Webmail v. 94.0.4.

So our office manager can intermittently access our site and Webmail throughout the day- issue started to occur about 3 weeks ago. But most of the day, the sites will just not connect and timeout. This MAY be a router issue- we are going to test this theory the next time another member can bring her tablet over to the office and try connecting to the Wifi. If the tablet cannot connect either, then we know to reset the router and call our internet provider. (Our office is 3 hours away from where I live, so we have to wait for our member to have time to head back to the office).

If it's NOT a router issue, then we are not sure what to do. I wanted to post here as we are seeing a couple odd things in Webmail:

1. A message that says "The desired locale has been saved to your browser. To change the locale in this browser again, select another locale on this screen."
  2. Sometimes when logging in to Webmail, a screen pops up with two options- "If you are not behind a firewall that blocks port 2096, enter here," and "If you are behind a firewall and can not connect to port 2096, Enter Here."

Here's a summary of what we've already tried...

1. Checked with our webmaster- no known issues
  2. Deleted bookmarks and keyed in URL manually
  3. Tried using multiple browsers- Chrome, Firefox and Edge (we are running on Windows 10)
  4. Cleared cache on all browsers
  5. Ran all updates for Windows 10
  6. Checked settings for Windows Defender- sites are not being blocked
  7. Tried to open sites in incognito window
  8. Tried pulling firewall down and accessing sites- still wouldn't work
  9. Checked cookie settings- cookies are enabled

Any help would be appreciated! Please let me know if I can provide more info.

Last edited by a moderator:

cPRex

Jurassic Moderator
Staff member
Oct 19, 2014
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
Hey there! Do you have root access to the server? If so, I'd recommend checking the cPHulk area in WHM to see if there are any IP or domain blocks there. With the website also having intermittent access issues, this seems more like a firewall or network problem than a specific issue with mail.

Apr 5, 2021
Aurora, IL
cPanel Access Level
Website Owner
Thank you! I do not have server access, but I'll reach out to our webmaster and see if she already checked this or not.

We were thinking there was something going on with the firewall/network as well, but we're not seeing anything off with the firewall settings/network connections at this point...we've had two "computer guys" remote in and review so far. Hoping we can find a resolution before we have to reach out to a "geek squad" type of service. Hopefully testing the router theory will narrow it down.

cPRex

Jurassic Moderator
Staff member
Oct 19, 2014
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
I would definitely speak with the hosting provider to see if they have any additional logs on their end as that might be all it takes, but the router is also a good guess for sure. Without root access to the server there isn't much more I can recommend that you can check at the user level.