The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cannot create account Inappropriate ioctl for device error

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by nslave, Jun 7, 2017.

1. nslave

nslave Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Reseller Owner
    Hi there,
    I am having an issue creating new accounts in WHM. I am logged with root and this is the error that comes up:
    Code:
    Unable to add user dockers: add_system_user failed due to an error: (XID mszztt) The system failed to set the user ID to “572” and the group ID to “587” on “/home/dockers” because of an error: Inappropriate ioctl for device
    After that there is entries in /etc/passwd and /etc/group. The home directory is created but empty and the owner and group are 'root'. Any ideas what could be the solution? Is there a log file that logs the add_system_user script output?

2. vanessa

vanessa Well-Known Member
    PartnerNOC

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    Did the /home/user folder perhaps exist before you created the account? I've seen this in edge cases where it did and was owned by root:root, thus halting the account creation process. I've also seen times where it existed as a symlink but pointed to a device that no longer existed.

3. nslave

nslave Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Reseller Owner
    The home folder does not exist before starting the account creation process.

4. cPanelMichael

cPanelMichael Forums Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hello,

The error message you provided suggests this is a VPS and it may have reached the "quotaugidlimit" threshold, or some other VPS parameter limit imposed from the VPS node. If this is a VPS, please check with your VPS hosting provider to see if they can verify if any resource limits have been reached.

Thank you.