Cannot Create Addon Domain with DNS (New to Cpanel)

Operating System & Version
linux
cPanel & WHM Version
86.0 (build 18)

coppertop

Apr 30, 2020
Canada
cPanel Access Level
Website Owner
I am transferring a site to my new hosting and want to move the content before I change the DNS - when I try to create an addon domain I get an error message:

(XID rqbxtx) Sorry, the domain is already pointed to an IP address that does not appear to use DNS servers associated with this server. Please transfer the domain to this servers nameservers or have your administrator add one of its nameservers to /etc/ips.remotedns and make the proper A entries on that remote nameserver.

I could always add on domains on siteground and then repoint the dns when the site was ready - what settings do I have to change to allow this?

I also tried to create a new domain and got this error message:

Error: (XID nuxvf9) Sorry, the domain is already pointed to an IP address that does not appear to use DNS servers associated with this server. Please transfer the domain to this servers nameservers or have your administrator add one of its nameservers to /etc/ips.remotedns and make the proper A entries on that remote nameserver.

I have never had the DNS pointed before moving a live site so what is the work around for this?

cPanelLauren

Product Owner
Staff member
Nov 14, 2017
Houston
Hello,

This is occurring because the server is configured to not allow remote domains. Since your access level indicates you're a website owner I assume you do not have root access to the system and in that instance you'd need to contact your provider and request they do one of the following:

• Enable "Allow Remote Domains" in Tweak Settings (within WHM)
    • They most likely will *not* do this though
  • Add the nameserver IP's the domain is currently pointed to in WHM>>IP Functions>>Configure Remote Service IP's - the primary reason this is there is so that users who are doing exactly what you're doing can configure their site before they point it to the server without forcing the server globally to allow remote domains.