Please whitelist cPanel in your adblocker so that you’re able to see our version release promotions, thanks!

The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cannot create 'addon' domains after upgrade of WHM

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by designwithenergy.com, Aug 29, 2017.

Tags:
  1. designwithenergy.com

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    The error I am getting now is specific, but happens on all attempts to create a new addon domain in my main cpanel (shared under WHM). Worked flawlessly and with no issues prior to upgrading the WHM version and Cpanel to latest versions.

Can anyone direct me to the best solution for this. I am very familiar with how I was doing things before on my cpanel, and understand it may not be 100% the best method, but I know it worked fine up until right after I did the updates.

ERROR: (xyz has replaced the actual domain that I was trying to create - as it would happen on any one I chose to add... such as xyz.com)

The subdomain “xyz.dev.example.tld” has been added.: Unable to set up domain keys for 'xyz.dev.example.tld': Cpanel::DnsUtils:548: Empty dns zone dev.example.tld

mainly the last part DnsUtils: 548, and Empty dns zone is what is concerning. I don't understand what went wrong.

2. designwithenergy.com

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Here is another example of the error - Just tried it again. HELP!!!

The subdomain “omahadents.dev.example.tld” has been added.: Unable to set up domain keys for 'omahadents.dev.example.tld': Cpanel::DnsUtils:548: Empty dns zone dev.designwithenergy.tld

Screen Shot 2017-08-29 at 3.02.40 PM.png

#2 designwithenergy.com, Aug 29, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 30, 2017
  3. cPanelMichael

cPanelMichael Forums Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hello,

The error message suggests there's an issue with the DNS zone for "dev.domain.tld". Does a separate DNS zone exist for that subdomain when viewing your zones in "WHM >> Edit DNS Zone", and is that subdomain the primary domain name associated with this cPanel account?

Also, could you verify which version of cPanel you upgraded to? You can check with this command:

Code:
    cat /usr/local/cpanel/version
    Thank you.

4. designwithenergy.com

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Ok. I did a few things recently, but I am not sure how much it will help you to figure this out.

1. I did a restore on the VPS server (godaddy) and it came up fine, after 5 hours!!! YIKES. All my sites were down flat for 5 hours *(thanks GODADDY!) they didn't tell me the server would be offline for the ENTIRE restore process. Ok that was my fault. But I won't do that again in the early afternoon!

2. I created a new Cpanel with dev.example.tld and everything works perfectly as it did before. SO.... I know it's that particular Cpanel that is all jacked up.

3. I don't know how to get into SSH so I think your command above is not something I can do... but I can tell you that it says: 66.0.14 at the bottom next to the logo. That is version I believe.

Also: to try to answer your question: the domain dev.example.tld has always been the main domain for the cpanel with the issues. It is showing on the WHM control panel as a separate domain that I can modify (I believe)> I will upload a few screenshots of my stuff on that cpanel and WHM. The screenshots I attached are all from WHM.

NOTE: the cpanel is doing something strange looking, not sure if it should be: creates a ton of entires for all kinds of stuff I didn't mean to create: like for example: autoconfig.dokain, and autodiscover.domain and others that seem to be un-necessary for normal DNS operations. but I am not a DNS expert. Maybe that is normal.

Thanks for anything you can suggest. I want to avoid having to move ALL of these domains to another cpanel, but if it's possible to move them to dev.example.tld in some automated fashion, I might be ok with that. The current one under dev.example.tld is just screwed up. AGAIN: the main symptom of trouble is that I can no longer add domains under the cpanel - which is an issue only if I wanted to continue putting new ones under it. I am currently not going to do add any more unless we can fix it. I will start using the other one (new: dev.example.tld CPANEL)

Thanks!! I hope you can follow all my discussion here...

Attached Files:

#4 designwithenergy.com, Aug 30, 2017
  5. designwithenergy.com

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    There seems to be some errors in my last post. The dev.example.tld [Mod Note - Please do not post real domain names] is currently at a different version:

But it's definitely not working like the most recent one I created for dev.example.tld .... thanks for your patience.

Attached Files:

#5 designwithenergy.com, Aug 30, 2017
  6. designwithenergy.com

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    SO ... do you think my troubles might be a result of upgrading that cpanel (the dev.example.x one..)

CAN I DOWNGRADE it? Is there a way to go back to 66.0.14?

Actually ... that makes no sense. The new one that is working fine is 66.0.15 ... so it's not the version that is the problem.

Something is just screwed up in DNS. I am just not savvy enough to know what to do with it. HELP!

#6 designwithenergy.com, Aug 30, 2017
  7. cPanelMichael

cPanelMichael Forums Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hello,

Could you open a support ticket using the link in my signature so we can take a closer look?

Thank you.

8. cPWilliamL

cPWilliamL cP Technical Analyst II
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hi,

A client has submitted a ticket with a similar issue, which has been filed under case 'CPANEL-11390'. If your account's main domain, is a subdomain, and the parent domain of your main domain is also a parked domain on the same account, you may see the issues you describe. For example, if you have an account with a main domain of 'main.domain.com', and on the same account you have 'domain.com' parked, you may receive the 'Empty dns zone' error when creating addon domains.

Thanks,

cPanelMichael likes this.