cannot create new mail lists [mailman]

vrinteractive

Feb 21, 2005
I'm trying to create and manage mailing lists on a new (to me as well) instance of cPanel. When I create a new list i get the response from the server "list ___ successfully created // go back"

Then i go back and do not see that list listed nor the ability to manage it.
Any iadeas?

Last edited:

sneader

Aug 21, 2003
La Crosse, WI
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
trouble with creating a mailman mailing list

That makes three of us. Guess I will open a ticket with cPanel support.

UPDATE: Ticket #97666 created 4/30/05

- Scott

Last edited:

michaelcaplan

Aug 15, 2003
ditto. i'm having the same issue. I've also noted some odd error messages being dumped to a shell session of mailman complaining about "No such file or directory" for something related to qfile.

I'm unsure if it is a new issue with Cpanel, or has to do with a cpanel backup I restored from an old server onto my present one.

Any pointsers much appreciated.

Mike

sneader

Aug 21, 2003
La Crosse, WI
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
problem solved

When I submitted my ticket, I was running 10.2.0-C18. The cPanel tech asked for root access to the server. He then e-mailed me back saying he "ran some updates" and I see now that I'm on 10.2.0-C24. It's working now.

I've replied to the ticket, asking specifically what was done. When I find out, I'll let you know.

FYI, I'm set up for automatic Current releases, so if it was just an update, this would have fixed itself tonight I guess. I'm thinking there was more to it than running upcp.

- Scott

sneader

Aug 21, 2003
La Crosse, WI
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
Here is what the cPanel tech said, when I asked him what fixed it:

I just ran the standard update/fix scripts (updatenow, fixcommonproblems, upcp --force, etc) and reinstalled mailman with the reinstallmailman script. I've seen this problem a few times and this always seems to fix it.

So, there ya go. I bet it was the reinstallmailman script that did it!

- Scott

bymarchi

Feb 25, 2005
Jupter Planet
I did run the scripts that Scott said and reinstalled the mailman, but now when I try create the list mail in cPanel appears the error:
CP-Wrap Critcal Error (signal 13 from wrapped program)! This may indicate a corrupt admin binary in /usr/local/cpanel/bin/

How I fix it?

thanks,

astopy

Apr 3, 2003
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
I'm having this same problem, running scripts doesn't help (though upcp does fix the problem bymarchi reported when I get it). I noticed that there was a permission denied error in cpanel's error log, so I checked out /usr/local/cpanel/bin/listadmin and it had permissions 700 (owner and group both root). As a test I set it to 755 and was able to create lists again. Now, I'm not sure if these are the correct permissions but everything seems to work OK - my only worry is the possible security problem of allowing anyone to execute listadmin, or is everyone supposed to be able to execute it?

barwin

Jan 5, 2004
Manhattan
here's how it is on our other servers

We had this issue on one of our cpanel servers. On all our other cpanel servers the permissions are as so:

-rwx------ 1 mailman mailman 1020492 May 26 13:42 /usr/local/cpanel/bin/listadmin

That is, 700, but owned by mailman instead of root.

Hope that helps.

Last edited: