Please whitelist cPanel in your adblocker so that you’re able to see our version release promotions, thanks!

The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!

cannot delete sendmail

Discussion in 'E-mail Discussion' started by bhanuprasad1981, Feb 19, 2011.

1. bhanuprasad1981

bhanuprasad1981 Well-Known Member

hi ,when ever i try upgrade cpanel ever time i see error , sendmail rename failed message , so i thought to take a look at that file , i see it seems small in size compared to other server, i tried to delete for copying working version from another server , but no i get permission denied error, i see its not half the size of other server size ?

2. cPanelJared

cPanelJared Technical Analyst

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    If you are referring to /usr/sbin/sendmail, it should have the following permissions and ownerships:

Code:
    # ls -alh /usr/sbin/sendmail 
    -rwxr-sr-x 1 root mailtrap 12K Feb  1 18:56 /usr/sbin/sendmail*
    What you are describing could happen if the lowercase i (immutable) or lowercase a (append-only) attributes are set on the file. What is the output of this command?

Code:
    # lsattr /usr/sbin/sendmail 
    ------------- /usr/sbin/sendmail
    Specifically, look for a lowercase i or lowercase a instead of one of the dashes. If either of these attributes is present, they need to be removed:

Code:
    # chattr -i -a /usr/sbin/sendmail
    An uppercase A attribute is not abnormal and will not cause a problem. A lowercase a attribute will cause a problem. It is important to recognize that to the lsattr and chattr commands, lowercase a and uppercase A are not the same item.

If either of the above attributes is set and you remove them, run a forced Exim update. It is not necessary to run a forced cPanel update. Update Exim with the following command:

Code:
    # /scripts/eximup --force

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...