The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

cannot download "pear/XML_RPC"

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Spork Schivago, Oct 12, 2016.

Tags:
  1. Spork Schivago

Spork Schivago Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Website Owner
    Hi. I've noticed this in the update logs for cPanel for a while now and thought it'd be fixed. I'm wondering if it's something with just my server though. Does anyone else see this in their logs when cPanel gets updated?

Code:
    [Starting pear-xmlrpc]
    config-set succeeded
    config-set succeeded
    config-set succeeded
    config-set succeeded
    Updating PEAR
    Nothing to upgrade
    Updating XML_RPC
    WARNING: "pear/XML_RPC" is deprecated in favor of "pear/XML_RPC2"
    Could not download from "https://de.pear.php.net/get/XML_RPC-1.5.5.tgz", cannot download "pear/XML_RPC" (Connection to `de.pear.php.net:443' failed: )
    Error: cannot download "pear/XML_RPC"
    Download failed
    upgrade failed
    [Finished pear-xmlrpc (5 seconds)]

If it's a bug with cPanel, I'd like to file a bug report, to make them aware of it. If it's just on my server, I'll find a topic on how to fix it. If anyone else has a similar issue, do they know of any temporary work arounds to get XML_RPC upgraded? I was thinking cPanel should be using XML_RPC2 instead.

There's other things I'd like to suggestion as well, but not really sure where I should suggest them. One is to have cPanel remove the PHP ini_set() calls in their PHP scripts. ConfigServer Firewall always throws me a message saying it's a security weakness and should be disabled, but it seemed last time I tried, cPanel scripts where calling the ini_set() function. Where would I discuss something like how to disable the PHP ini_set() function without breaking cPanel / whm?

Thanks.

2. cPanelMichael

cPanelMichael Forums Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hello,

This is reported in CPANEL-1743 and determined to relate to an issue with that specific PEAR mirror server (de.pear.php.net). We reached out to PEAR to report this issue, however there's currently no time frame to offer on a resolution. Note that the version has not changed, so you can safely ignore that warning message in the meantime. Regarding "XML_RPC2", you can install the "XML_RPC2" PEAR module if it's needed via "WHM Home » Software » Module Installers".

Thank you.

3. Spork Schivago

Spork Schivago Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Website Owner
    Thanks cPanelMichael. If I install the XML_RPC2 PEAR module, will that replace the XML_RPC PEAR module? From what I remember reading, the XML_RPC2 PEAR module might be safer...

Did PEAR never respond? I could try contacting them as well to let them know. I also tried manually downloading the compressed archive and see that it's there. The SSL certificate appears to have expired a few years back. When I go to de.pear.php.net, I see:
    Code:
    The server running pear.php.net had a fatal hard disk failure and gets replaced by a new machine this week. Until the new machine is setup, this page is up to let you continue installing PEAR packages via the PEAR installer.

Last sync from pear.php.net: 2015-11-29T20:50:02+0100

The sync date there, to me, says maybe I'm not supposed to be seeing that message. Maybe someone replaced the failed hard drive but forgot to update something perhaps? I dunno.

Would the General Discussion topic be a good place to talk about the PHP ini_set() function? Thanks.

4. cPanelMichael

cPanelMichael Forums Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    This won't replace the XML_RPC PEAR module, but it would add support for XML_RPC2 if you require it for a custom script or plugin. We've not received an update on the status of the broken mirror, but you are welcome to reach out to them to see if any new updates are available.

I've moved your PHP ini_set() question to:

PHP ini_set

Thank you.