The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cannot edit Files on server

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by firstcoastus, Jan 28, 2010.

1. firstcoastus

firstcoastus Registered

twisting my head here - when using any ftp program - you can see the files but when you try to access them and or try to make edits then it gives error upon returen - which you cannot make any downloads from the server or make edits to that file online? What could be causing this to check?? the current cpanel & WHM is

cPanel 11.25.0-R42404 - WHM 11.25.0 - X 3.9
    FEDORA 1 i686 standard

thanks. :mad:

2. Metro2

Metro2 Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    I could be wrong, but this sounds like an ownership (CHOWN, not to be confused with CHMOD permissions) issue.

In other words, it sounds like the files you are trying to modify via FTP user are not owned by that FTP user, but rather another user on the server.

For example:

If you copied or created a file on the server via SSH/shell while you were logged in as "root", and then you FTP'd in to the server as user "example", then you would not be able to delete/edit etc... the file because it is owned by user "root".

An example of how to fix the example scenario I just described would be to log in to the server via SSH and chown the files to the user:group of the FTP user you want to give control to. That would go something like this at the prompt in SSH:

chown exampleuser:exampleuser /home/exampleuser/public_html/filename

So in other words, if you have user account on the server called "jim" but you created a file in /home/jim/public_html/ called test.html from SSH logged in as root, then the user jim would not own the file test.html - root would own it. Then when jim logs in via FTP he can't edit test.html because the user root owns the file. If you want to give jim ownership of it, you'd ssh in to the server and as user root you would do "chown jim:jim /home/jim/public_html/test.html and then jim will be able to FTP in and edit / delete the file (or do the same from his cPanel file manager).

BUT BEFORE YOU USE MY ADVICE YOU SHOULD GET ANOTHER OPINION.

I would hate to be the one to give you bad information. Perhaps someone here can confirm or disagree with my post and help a little further.