Please whitelist cPanel in your adblocker so that you’re able to see our version release promotions, thanks!

The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!

Cannot Email PDF Files

Discussion in 'E-mail Discussion' started by Cristian Samuel Vargas, Dec 6, 2018.

1. Cristian Samuel Vargas

cPanel Access Level:
    Website Owner
    Good day,

Respected community

I'm having a problem receiving and sending emails with pdf files. But the server detects this as a virus. What I can do?

Attached screenshot in different email managers.

Thanks

Attached Files:

2. Cristian Samuel Vargas

cPanel Access Level:
    Website Owner
    Hi,

I was investigating and I saw that ClamAv is responsible. Can this be disabled only for emails?

3. Infopro

Infopro cPanel Sr. Product Evangelist
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Twitter:
    It shouldn't need to be. Your forum profile lists you as Website Owner, as such, you'd probably need to speak with your Hosting Provider about this to see if they can help.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. Cristian Samuel Vargas

cPanel Access Level:
    Website Owner
    I'm trying to talk to them. But they do not give me a concrete answer. But anyway. I would like to know as a possible solution to this problem. Because now it is not only PDF files, but a great majority of emails that they send me but the server denies access by viruses.

5. rpvw

rpvw Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    I would suggest you investigate why you might be sending out a virus in your PDF files, rather than trying to hide it by disabling ClamAV

You should investigate:
    • You are uploading PDFs already containing the virus from your computer (in which case your computer is probably infected with some malware) - I would suspect this is the most likely scenario.
    • The mail server is adding the malware to the PDF files you upload (very unlikely)
    • ClamAV is triggering a false positive for malware inside the PDF that is being detected as being Atomicorp.PHP.Malware.051217140223.21012.UNOFFICIAL (by Outlook and Gmail and your own webmail according to your screen captures) which would seem to be highly unlikely as 3 different services are all seeing the same thing.
    Disabling your server ClamAV will not have any impact on the deliverability of your PDF files as Outlook and Gmail use their own AV scanners and will detect the embedded malware themselves, and quarantine or strip the infected file from the delivery.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  6. Cristian Samuel Vargas

cPanel Access Level:
    Website Owner
    Very interesting your answer, but do not have to do the truth, but my company domain client [removed] Here in Colombia they send daily mail and since last week I started this problem. Of 100 daily runs around 10,20 the server marks them as viruses. And a relative from the United States who is sending a pdf invoice from hotmail. Show the same error. Another thing, I'm scanning the files manually by norton segurity and it indicates that they are safe files.

#6 Cristian Samuel Vargas, Dec 7, 2018 at 11:27 AM
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 7, 2018 at 11:38 AM