The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cannot get cpanel DNSOnly working for the life of me

Discussion in 'Bind / DNS / Nameserver Issues' started by ilikewesties, Feb 11, 2014.

1. ilikewesties

ilikewesties Registered

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    I just purchased a VPS which came with 1 IP address. I was able to SSH in and install cpanel DNSonly and that's where my installation stopped.

Visiting the server's IP address brings up an apache test page, but trying to log into cpanel, I cannot connect. Chrome says "this webpage is not available" and gives the error:
    I've spent hours googling and can't figure it out. I've checked firewall and selinux, and can ping the server.

Also, while I'm posting this - I currently have 1 cpanel server running that is hostname.mydomain.com and has ns1.mydomain.com and ns2.mydomain.com - i'm trying to create dnsonly.mydomain.com to cluster with hostname.mydomain.com - will this work? If that doesn't make sense, I'm trying to cluster 1 cPanel web server with 1 DNSOnly server - the main reason is so my google apps e-mail will continue to work when the cpanel server blows up.

Thank you.

2. cPanelMichael

cPanelMichael Forums Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hello :)

1. Do you have any firewall rules on your local machine or router that could be blocking access to port 2087? Are you able to access port 2087 on other machines?

2. Yes, it's acceptable to setup a DNS cluster with one hosting server and one cPanel DNS-Only server. The following document explains the best practices when configuring a cluster:

cPanel - Guide to DNS Clustering

Thank you.

3. ilikewesties

ilikewesties Registered

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    I don't know what happened, it just started magically working.

To answer your question though - I was able to access WHM on my cpanel server just fine using the same ports. I don't know what the issue was.

4. cPanelPeter

cPanelPeter Technical Analyst III
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Twitter:
    Hello,

Glad it's working now. Thank you for updating this thread with the outcome.