The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cannot get mail to a particular domain (driving me NUTS!)

Discussion in 'E-mail Discussions' started by dhecker, Jul 7, 2005.

1. dhecker

dhecker Well-Known Member

Dec 3, 2003

Can anyone possibly help with this problem???

Users on my machine cannot send e-mail to any user on the domain ''. We have been working with this problem for 3 weeks and can't find out the cause. This domain is an important destination for us, and we send email to this domain almost every day.

Here is what we've found.

- Every server I can find CAN send mail to this domain, except mine. The admin of the other server insists that they aren't blocking or anything.

- I'm not on any blackholes, etc.

- For a while, I would send a message and it would sit in the queue, with a ''couldn't connect' problem. For the last 2 days, the emails go right through, but then get returned with an 'undelierable mail' message (generic).

- I can ping the other mail server, but I can't telnet to it on port 25. On other servers, I CAN telnet to it on port 25.

Well, thats it! I can't figure it out and my ISP is not very helpful. Both isp's blame it on the other, which doesn't help me very much!

Any help appreciated, thanks!
  2. randomuser

randomuser Well-Known Member

Jun 25, 2005
    Sounds like a filtering issue somewhere to me - whether it's on your end or theirs it's hard to say. What I would is download tcptraceroute, and run it like this:

tcptraceroute 25

For example:

# tcptraceroute -nq1 25
    Selected device eth0, address x.x.x.x, port 33327 for outgoing packets
    Tracing the path to ( on TCP port 25, 30 hops max
    16 ( 82.916 ms
    17 ( [open] 80.792 ms

tcptraceroute has a win32 port if you're using Windows. I'll leave the googling up to you :>