The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cannot IMAP / Connect on port 143

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by webignition, May 5, 2005.

1. webignition

webignition Well-Known Member

I'm having a problem whereby I can't collect mail via IMAP - my mail client fails to connect to the server with no specific error message. This is one of those "out the blue" issues whereby it there has never been any issues with IMAP and no changes were made to the server.

When I try to telnet to my server on port 143 the connection times out. This happens when I try from my home PC and from another server, so I don't believe it is related to an IP being blocked, plus I have reconnected to the Internet a couple of times so as to obtain a different IP.

I've tried restarting IMAP from WHM and from SSH and it appears to restart fine.

I can access mail fine through neomail/horde/squirrel mail so I imagine that IMAP is working in general but since I can't telnet to port 143 from anywhere (or so it appears) it would seem that my server is not accepting connections on port 143.

Consequently I checked that the apf config hadn't changed, and restarted apf just to be on the safe side, but to no avail.

I also ran iptables -L and couldn't see anything that would indicate connections on port 143 would not be accepted, however I can't be 100% sure as I'm not too familar with iptables.

And so I am at a loss as to what to check and where to go. Any pointers would be of a great help indeed.

2. webignition

webignition Well-Known Member

IMAP fine, external connections to port 143 not

If I establish an SSH connection to my server and attempt to telnet to it from there on port 143 I can connect to the IMAP server without a problem.

So it just appears that the issue is with connecting to port 143 externally. I've tried with out without apf enabled and double checked the apf config and nothing appears to be astray there.

Any pointers?

3. chirpy

chirpy Well-Known Member

Is your OS IMAP runnin instead of the cPanel IMAP?

Depending on the OS, check in /etc/xinetd.d/ and make sure that cpimap is set to "disable = no" and that imap and imaps is set to "disable = yes". Any changes, restart xinetd.

4. bmcpanel

bmcpanel Well-Known Member

Just found this topic while searching an IMAP issue. Seems like noone provided the obvious question. Is the origin server firewall blocking port 143?