The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cannot log into ANY account(SSH, E-Mail, WHM/Cpanel)

Discussion in 'E-mail Discussions' started by demine0, Feb 22, 2012.

1. demine0

demine0 Well-Known Member

This morning I noticed that I cannot login to any account on my server. This is
    effecting both E-mail accounts, SSH, and WHM/Cpanel logins. I have not tested
    FTP. I believe an automated update to WHM and Cpanel is the culprit, as this
    morning is the first time I noticed the new login screen for WHM.

Since I cannot login to any account on the server (Not even root, or my sudoer
    user admin), the only way to administrate the server now is by the vmware ESXi
    console which I always leave logged in as root. I have not rebooted the server
    yet, as I fear that I will be completely locked out.

I've attempted to put a ticket in with cpanel, but since I purchased the license from FDCServers, I need to have them put the ticket in. They are refusing to put a ticket in even though they did it in the past. All they are stating for a reason is "We used to do this in the past. We don't anymore". I'm really at my last resource. Does anyone know if FDC is even allow to do this, and what I can do to have this issue handled?

I'm not too bad at the system administration end of things, so if anyone knows of anything I can try in the console in the meantime to fix this, please let me know.

2. cPanelMichael

cPanelMichael Forums Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hello :)

Are you not able to access the server as "root" over SSH? If not, it's possible that username has been locked by cPHulk. Try accessing the server via console and running the following command to disable cPHulk:

Code:
    /usr/local/cpanel/bin/cphulk_pam_ctl --disable
    Thank you.

3. jfrist1

jfrist1 Member

Thanks, that worked for me. Luckily I had an active SSH session when it happened or else I would have been out of luck. Don't understand why it happened though.

4. cPanelMichael

cPanelMichael Forums Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    The "root" user can be locked out if there are several unsuccessful login attempts. Ideally, you should add your IP address or IP range to the White List (Trusted IP List). The Trusted IP List specifies IP addresses that cPHulk will never prevent from accessing your server.

Thank you.

5. storminternet

storminternet Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
  6. mykkal

mykkal Well-Known Member

I am having this same issue. That makes no sense to me. Brute force is not turned on... I cannot access the console because tthe server is at a hosted location in another state.

7. cPanelTristan

cPanelTristan Quality Assurance Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Do you have a firewall on the machine? The firewall could be the culprit if you aren't using cPHulk Brute Force Protection. Unfortunately, no-one here could possibly assist in re-gaining access as there needs to be some form of access to WHM or SSH in order to investigate or correct the issue.

Your provider will need to investigate this for you or whoever does have access to the machine to physically either stop the firewall or log into SSH for you to run commands.

8. jonwatson

jonwatson Well-Known Member

I am having the exact same problem as of about 100 minutes ago, however your solution does not work.

I am unable to log into ANY account - IMAP as an end user, cPanel as a domain owner, or WHM as root. I am able to shell in as root because I have a key on the system and have changed the root password successfully, however WHM still tells me the login is invalid.

Nobody can get their email, nobody can get into cPanel. Any ideas what would completely blow up password authentication out of the blue?

I've opened a ticket with my host, but this doesn't look like something they can handle.

Jon

9. mykkal

mykkal Well-Known Member

The problem is cphulk. You'll want to clear that database of ips or at least delete your IP from the blacklist via the command line. All this is done via the shell