Please whitelist cPanel in your adblocker so that you’re able to see our version release promotions, thanks!

The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!

Cannot Login to webmail

Discussion in 'E-mail Discussion' started by mauinet, Dec 31, 2012.

1. mauinet

mauinet Active Member

On one server, we cannot log into email accounts either by webmail or from a local email client such as mac mail or outlook express. Cpanel keeps rejecting the password. I renenter the passwords through whm but still get password invalid.

When I check /usr/local/cpanel/logs/login_log it show error messages:
    POST /login/?login_only=1 HTTP/1.1" FAILED LOGIN webmaild: user password incorrect

I have moved from courier to dovecot but same error. I restarted cpanel.

Where can I look next?

TR

2. cPanelJared

cPanelJared Technical Analyst

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Get your workstation's IP address by browsing /http://whatismyip.com, and then check the Login/Brute History Report tab in Home » Security Center » cPHulk Brute Force Protection to see if your IP address is listed.

Also, make sure that a directory named for the domain exists in $HOME/$USER/etc and $HOME/$USER/mail, where $HOME is the home partition and $USER is the cPanel user.

You can also run /scripts/mailperm --verbose $USER, replacing $USER with the cPanel username, to see if it returns any errors.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. mauinet

mauinet Active Member

Thank you for the suggestions. The trouble doesn't just happen on our techsupport workstations but also at the customer locations and on iphones.

I ran the mailperm script which said it changed some perms.

The problem is getting to be more than just email password. Now, I cannot login as root in the whm login screen, saying invalid password. I can log into the shell and su to root ok though. I changed the root password but still cannot login through whm, only shell. This happend after I tried to list accounts, it said the security token was missing and presented a new login screen.

I have gone to the site now with Firefox, Chrome and Safari but still cannot login as root on the whm screen. I disabled the firewall but that didn't affect it

After about a 10 minute wait, the root password starts working again.

TR

#3 mauinet, Dec 31, 2012
    Last edited: Dec 31, 2012
  4. cPanelJared

cPanelJared Technical Analyst

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    It would be best if you can submit a ticket so that we may look at this directly for you.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. mauinet

mauinet Active Member

Hello Jared,
    WHM 11.34.1 (build 5)
    I did a forced update on cpanel and I think that has cleared the problem, we're still monitoring this.
    We are running CENTOS 6.3 x86_64 standard with WHM 11.34.1 (build 5) which was the same version we had been running.

TR