The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cannot send mail using any mail client

Discussion in 'E-mail Discussions' started by jfrist1, Dec 27, 2009.

1. jfrist1

jfrist1 Member

I just moved a few of my sites from a reseller account to my own server. I had the sites up and running in under a half hour, but I'm having a problem with email.
    At first I could only receive email, then I couldn't send or receive email. I would get this message when sending an email to an account on the server:
    Code:
    Google tried to deliver your message, but it was rejected by the recipient domain. We recommend contacting the other email provider for further information about the cause of this error. The error that the other server returned was: 550 550-mail-qy0-f189.google.com [209.85.221.189] is currently not permitted to
    550-relay through this server. Perhaps you have not logged into the pop/imap
    550-server in the last 30 minutes or do not have SMTP Authentication turned on
    550 in your email client. (state 14).
    I then checked /etc/localdomains and added the missing domains. I was now able to send AND receive email, for as long as the domains stay in /etc/localdomains - they get deleted, I don't know how, I don't know why, it lasts only a few hours at most. I should also mention that I can only send email using one of the webmail clients.

When I can't send an email with a webclient, this is the error I get:
    Code:
    ERROR:Message not sent. Server replied: Requested action not taken: mailbox unavailable
    550 Verification failed for <[b]hidden@example.com[/b]>
    No Such User Here"
    Sender verify failed
    The email address shown in the message above is the email I'm send from.

I can receive email using any mail client (test with apple mail and outlook), but neither can send email, even if I can send using a webmail client.

Here's a list of my problems that I can't fix:
    1) domains do not stay listed in /etc/localdomains
    2) when the domains aren't listed, I cannot send email at all
    3) when they are listed, I can send email only through the webmail clients
    4) I can receive email with a mail client, but cannot send any email at any time

EDIT: I just tried sending an email to a domain on the same server that has its email hosted by google apps, the email to that domain appears to go through on the horde & squirrel mail side, but I never receive it when checking for the email on the google apps email page. Emails to @gmail accounts go through.

#1 jfrist1, Dec 27, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 28, 2009
  2. thewebhostingdi

thewebhostingdi Well-Known Member

You will have to check the email logs for the exact error message. You can check the error logs from /var/log/exim_mainlog.

3. jfrist1

jfrist1 Member

from the moment I got your reply in an email I've been waiting for an email problem - none so far, and outlook suddenly started to work.

But the log did make me notice that the "automatic" option for the mail server decided to make it "local" so any email sent on the server was routing to the catchall address on the server and not making its way to the google server.

Thanks! If the other problems reoccur, I'll post the log in the thread.

4. cPanelDon

cPanelDon cPanel Quality Assurance Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    Twitter:
    Thank you for the update. I was going to suggest checking the mail routing option, but I believe you have found this already.

Depending on how the MX records are setup and on what DNS system (i.e., locally hosted DNS zones or a remote/external DNS host) the automatic mail routing option may or may not see the domain as being local.

I would double check to ensure the locally-hosted DNS zone has the correct MX records, and then also check to ensure the e-mail routing option is configured according to your needs (e.g., local MX, backup/secondary MX, or remote MX).

For some additional details about the e-mail routing option and the cPanel/WHM menu paths involved please also reference the following post:
    cPanel Forums - View Single Post - Mail loop help
    Original thread: Mail loop help - cPanel Forums

5. jfrist1

jfrist1 Member

Thanks Don.

I have another question regarding mail.

Any reason why (for incoming and outgoing SSL) is the mail server listed as localhost.localdomain instead of mail.mydomain.com?

6. mocollin

mocollin Member

localhost.localdomain is probably the default hostname on your server when it was set up. Therefore, when cpanel installed and generated your self-signed SSL certificates, it used that hostname.

Assuming your hostname is now set correctly... In WHM goto "Manage Service SSL Certificates" and for each one of your services click "Reset Certificate" ... or better yet, buy a cheap SSL cert for your server and install it here.

After you do this you'll have to restart Pop3 again. After this, Cpanel should display the correct server name for SSL connections.

7. cPanelDon

Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    Twitter:
    This scenario described by mocollin is a likely possibility. The hostname shown is obtained from the installed SSL certificate for the service involved, such as the SSL certificates for Exim and Dovecot or Exim and Courier.

For reference, here is the menu path in WHM where SSL certificates may be installed, updated, or reset for applicable services:
    WHM: Main >> Service Configuration >> Manage Service SSL Certificates
    Documentation: Manage Service SSL Certificates

8. jfrist1

jfrist1 Member

wow, thanks for all the help.

All problems appear to be gone.

Thanks again!

EDIT: when I run /scripts/fixcommonproblems 2 domains (1 subdomain and 1 addon domain) get removed from /etc/localdomains

is there a log output that would tell me why?

#8 jfrist1, Dec 30, 2009
    Last edited: Dec 30, 2009
  9. cPanelDon

Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    Twitter:
    I believe that is normal; is any difficulty experienced when using the sub-domain and add-on domain?

Does the same action occur when running the following commad?
    Code:
    # /scripts/mailperm --skiplocaldomains
    If it happens with the above, then I may suggest adding the verbose option to have the command output more detail:
    Code:
    # /scripts/mailperm --skiplocaldomains --verbose
    When the domain is moved out of the local domains list, is it then included in the remote domains list, as seen via the following command?
    Code:
    # cat /etc/remotedomains

10. jfrist1

jfrist1 Member

running both commands have the same result with no output.

Both addresses are in /etc/remotedomains

EDIT: removed both domains from /etc/remotedomains and added them to localdomains and everything is working perfectly and the domains stay when running fixcommonproblems

THANK YOU SO MUCH!

#10 jfrist1, Dec 30, 2009
    Last edited: Dec 30, 2009