The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cannot send or receive mail

Discussion in 'E-mail Discussions' started by lkoreality, Apr 5, 2009.

1. lkoreality

lkoreality Registered

So.. I can successfully create a mail account, but when I log into webmail - I can't send or receive. When I set it up in a desktop app, it doesn't work either. Login fails. I'm thinking it may have something to do with DNS.

In addition to this, I am confused to why when I receive my emails it is from my hostname. Let's say somedomain.com is my domain and server.myserver.com is my hostname (different domains). For example, if I setup an account - I receive an email from [I]something@server.myserver.com[/I].

This isn't so much a problem, but for SSL mail - it shows the incoming/outgoing name is "server.myserver.com" when i'd rather have it be related to somedomain.com.. because it isn't really professional from a hosts point of view.

But first I just want to get mail to actually work!! Ideas??

Thanks,
    Luke

2. Warrenw

Warrenw Active Member
    PartnerNOC

The something@server.myserver.com is the default address set up for each cpanel account and is used by the server to send system messages to cpanel accounts. Regarding your email address, the domain must be resolving properly before you can send or receive any email. Hope this helps.

You can monitor /var/log/exim_maillog when you are sending or waiting to receive an email and get a better idea of what the cause of the problem is.