Please whitelist cPanel in your adblocker so that you’re able to see our version release promotions, thanks!

The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!

Cannot setup email with Outlook 2016

Discussion in 'E-mail Discussion' started by IT Green, Oct 11, 2018 at 12:23 PM.

1. IT Green

IT Green Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Website Owner
    Hello, I am new to cpanel. I am in the middle of migrating my accounts to a new web host and having issues with setting up my email accounts with my Outlook 2016. I know the email account has been moved to the new hosts, because I can see it in the webmail client. However, when I try to set it up with Outlook the configuration settings do not seem to be valid. It looks like the pop3 setting is ok but the smtp setting is not. I have tried port 25 and it does not work. I know port 25 can be blocked by ISPs, what other ports could I use? Does anyone have any other ideas of what could be causing the issue?

2. cPanelLauren

cPanelLauren Forums Analyst II
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    Hi @IT Green

You might try 587 or 465 for SMTP - If you have access to the cPanel account you can go to cPanel>>Email>>Email Accounts -> Email Accounts Tab -> Connect Devices and get the automated configuration script to set up the account

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. IT Green

IT Green Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Website Owner
    Hi Lauren. I have tried to configure with the configuration script and it is not working. It is telling me there is an issue with the SMTP connection. I've tried ports 587, 465, and 25 and get the same error. My phone tells me that POP3/IMAP access is not turned on.

4. IT Green

IT Green Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Website Owner
    So after more research I am finding that this issue is only effecting SMTP. It is every email I have set up on the server and for multiple domains. I have tried using both the secure and unsecure methods. Any ideas?

5. cPanelLauren

Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    Hi @IT Green
    You may want to check with your provider to see if they have any restrictions or special instructions for setting up your mail client. They may have standard ports blocked.

Thanks!

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  6. IT Green

IT Green Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Website Owner
    I have checked with both my ISP and Go Daddy and there are no blocks. Go Daddy has checked everything and the DNS has successfully been transferred to Go Daddy. There is something wrong in the SMTP. I cannot connect it to any email client. Is there anyone who can help resolve this issue. Go Daddy says they do not offer any support at all for this issue.

7. cPanelLauren

Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    Hi @IT Green

Do you have root access to the server? If you do there are further suggestions I can provide to you on how to resolve the issue. If you do not you will need to work with your provider to resolve the issue as it appears to be an issue connecting to their mail service.

Thanks!

8. IT Green

IT Green Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Website Owner
    Ok so I was not able to get this resolved with Go Daddy. They refused any kind of support on the issue so I am now using a different web hosting company that also uses cPanel. I am able to send and receive email without any issues on this new platform. Wish I could tell you guys what was done to resolve the issue, but all I did was switched web hosts.

Thanks for your help

9. cPanelLauren

Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    Hi @IT Green

GoDaddy does have some SMTP restrictions in place though I'm unsure why they were unable to assist you. I'm glad none the less that you were able to get mail configured and working properly! Thank you for letting us know.