Please whitelist cPanel in your adblocker so that you’re able to see our version release promotions, thanks!

The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!

cannot start apache

Discussion in 'EasyApache' started by lass, Nov 20, 2017.

1. lass

lass Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    I am sorry if i posted this in wrong section.
    I updated apache from whm in the morning and restarted server(godaddy linux vps)
    ever since that my http service is not running. i tried putty and service start command and other commands also but in vain. I am getting this error in putty

Starting httpd: AH00526: Syntax error on line 12 of /etc/apache2/conf.d/modsec2.conf:
    ModSecurity: Failed to open the audit log file: /etc/apache2/logs/modsec_audit.log

i saw my log folder got deleted dont know how..
    i tried and created few files using touch.(touch modsec_audit.log
    but i have 70 accounts(websites) in the vps
    and now it is asking me for domlogs file of each domain and even more.

can we reinstall apache? and will it work fine?
    i am just so frustrated of it can anyone please help me or guide me atleast.
    5hours and still no success.. thats why finally posting a thread in hope.

2. web-project

web-project Well-Known Member

create the modsec_audit.log file and try to start again, could you provide the apache log instead of two lines on error message, please? as the issue can be something else.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. cPanelMichael

cPanelMichael Technical Support Community Manager
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Twitter:
    Hello,

Can you provide some more information about which specific directory was deleted? What command was ran to delete the directory? Note that you are welcome to open a support ticket using the link in my signature so we can more quickly assist you in getting Apache running again.

Thank you.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. lass

lass Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Sir i already created modsec_audit.log file but now it is requesting many other log files(apache2/logs dir was missing) i had created 70 accounts(domains) in the server its asking me for all the individual log files. somehow the logs directory under apache2 got deleted or archived(showing red color) so i created the directory again. How can i show you apache log when it got deleted?

5. lass

lass Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Sir /etc/apache2/logs directory was deleted(logs showing red color when i run ls comand in apache2 dir). I dont know how it got deleted. we updated apache through whm and no one accessed ssh to delete it. thanks for the link i have opened a support ticket through whm server. but it has 87 tickets in the queue. i hope that I get support soon as 70 sites are down.

6. lass

lass Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    thanks CpanelMichael my issue is resolved by the support team from whm. i am very happy with whm service. it was hassle free and professional. unlike godaddy which is the worst hosting company i have come across till now. absolutely no tech support provided they dont even let us speak with the technical team.

cPanelMichael likes this.