The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cannot upload Wordpress files

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by neilb1973, Jan 4, 2014.

1. neilb1973

neilb1973 Registered

cPanel Access Level:
    Website Owner
    Hi,

Just registered and joined this forum.

I'm trying to upload Wordpress version 3.8 via file manager within my cPanel account but the upload tool will not let me choose more than one file at a time.

I've checked the cPanel site and the only relevant instructions I can find say; "The Extract and Compress functions will only work with the .zip format if Zip is installed on your server. Your system administrator can run the command yum install zip to install the Zip module."

I am not particularly technical and don't really understand what this means. If I'm interpreting this correctly then does it mean I need to install winzip? If so does this apply to my PC or on to File Manager?

I'd be grateful if someone could provide some help here; a step by step process solution would be very helpful.

thanks in advance,
    Neil

2. scoob512

scoob512 Registered

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    "if Zip is installed on your server" - It clearly states ZIP needs to be on your server for this. Not your home PC (which should be able to make zip by default, anyway).

Now, I'm not an expert on this, but try running this through SSH:
    Here's what it looked like when I ran it:
    I think zip comes with most, if not all, distros of linux. If not, you can just run something like:
    And it should get that started for you, if you don't already have it.

If zip is still not working through file manager, or you want an alternate option, use FTP to upload multiple files and entire folders without having to compress them. Or use rsync through terminal maybe.

3. cPanelMichael

cPanelMichael Forums Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    It's suggesting you ensure that Zip is installed on the server itself. This is something that your hosting provider can do for you. However, you may want to simply try uploading the files via FTP if you are not comfortable uploading a zip file and using the "Extract File Contents" option in File Manager.

Thank you.