The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Can't access Cpanel - timeout error

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by TikkiRo, Apr 12, 2009.

1. TikkiRo

TikkiRo Member

Hi - unsure if I'm posting this in the right place or even indeed in the right kind of Forum, but hopefully so.

I have 3 sites with 1 host and have had no problems until 2 weeks ago, when I suddenly found I could no longer access my Cpanel. As I knew the host was in the process of moving sites to a new server, I was unsure whether it was a problem their end, so left it a few days. But now after having my brother try and access the sites and he could without any problem, I know the problem is originating my end, but I'm at a total loss as to what I did to change things.

I've tried accessing the sites in both Firefox and IE7. The latter just sits with an empty page and never gets anywhere, while FF comes up with a timeout error (very quickly I might add). Searches give me the impression this might be something to do with ports but again, no idea how to change that. I've tried accessing the sites both by sitename/cpanel and sitename:2082 - neither work. I changed security settings and cleared out caches to no avail.

I have a Belkin router and use XP firewall also, but haven't changed anything in either of those recently.

I'd be truly ecstatic if someone could provide me with some better info on how to fix this problem perhaps as I desperately need to get backups done and check webmail on a couple of accounts also.

TIA Romayne

2. big_bull

big_bull Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hello,

1.may be your local IP got blocked by server firewall OR may be blocked in DC network. so check with your host.
    2.May be port 2082 blocked by local firewall OR your ISP, so check with ISP also

If still have problem do a tracert from your local PC and send output to your host for further check OR paste here.

3. TikkiRo

TikkiRo Member

Port info...

Thanks for that input - if the ports are being blocked my end, how do I change that? My primary contact at my host is away until the end of next week and I doubt I'll get any response from the other techs there until then (small but usually very good outfit). So figure I'd rather at least attempt to ensure that it's not my system that's at fault anyway before annoying them again.

I can access the sites fine incl for FTP functions, just not the Cpanels. Tracert runs without any errors.

4. Infopro

Infopro cPanel Sr. Product Evangelist
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Twitter:
    If the site comes up fine including FTP, could cPanel be crashed on the server? Only your host would know that.
    Post a link to one of your sites on that server, lets have a peek. :)

5. TikkiRo

TikkiRo Member

6. big_bull

big_bull Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hello,

Its 100 % your local problem as I am able to access cpanel link and it prompts for login details, may be you are using a corporate connection and port 2082 blocked by corporate firewall,try to check with network admin.

Meanwhile ask your host to create a subdomain like cpanel.yourdomain.com in your cpanel and try to access cpanel by http://cpanel.yourdomain.com, by doing this cpanel will be accessed through http port i.e port 80 and not port 2082, put your login details and start working.

This is applicable only if your host supports this.

7. TikkiRo

TikkiRo Member

Home user, not on any network other than wireless in my house :). Just wondering if there's no way I can do something through my router to improve on this, as trying to get hold of my hosts just now isn't easy (holiday time here). Maybe I'm just trying to flog a dead horse hoping for some other local fix, but can't for the life of me figure out what went wrong 2 wks ago - I don't tend to dabble with ports much for anything other than for Azureus and I've not tweaked anything there for weeks.

Appreciate the confirmation though that it's something to do with my setup - I'll maybe try cold rebooting my modem/router and see if that does anything this time around (didn't last week, but you never know).

Thanks again.

8. Infopro

Infopro cPanel Sr. Product Evangelist
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Twitter:
    Creating a cpanel.yourdomain.com should not be needed any longer I don't think. cPanel is set to auto negotiate for you on first login. (a screen comes up asking you which way you want to go in.)

You might try disabling windows firewall for just a moment to see if you can get in then. If yes, you'll have to look for the block (assuming there is one in your firewall somewhere) and remove it.

Unless you've got some sort of custom filtering going on with your router, not sure you'd need to look there.

You might also check your browser for any addons that may be trying to help protect you by blocking the URL.

9. TikkiRo

TikkiRo Member

Somehow I think I'm going to have to be patient and wait for my contact at my host to somehow provide me with some fix from his end maybe. All my searches online have been pretty fruitless and I've just no idea what changed things on my system. And it's on the full network too, not just this PC and browsers - my laptop can't access the sites either on the same wireless network, hence my wondering whether the router has somehow changed things. Can't be the ISP either I doubt, because others on the same ISP can also access the password page. Really frustrating this, as I've just zilch idea on what else to try. :(

Appreciate your help anyway :)

10. TikkiRo

TikkiRo Member

Router problem

Just to wrap this one up for everyone - turns out to be a router problem somehow, which I finally figured out when I disconnected it and got onto the sites fine with a direct connection. Hoping the router fix will be simple as no doubt it's something I've stuck into it somewhere along the way :(. Thanks for all the help anyway.