The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Can't access cPanels Web Disk

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by lumberg, May 10, 2017.

Tags:
  1. lumberg

lumberg Registered

cPanel Access Level:
    Website Owner
    I have a dedicated hosted server with CentOS 7 and cPanel. I'm trying to get WebDAV ("Web Disk") to work so I can access files from my Windows 10 machine.

In cPanel, I go into Files => Web Disk => Access Web Disk => Download Quick Start Script

Then I run that script, it asks me for my credentials, and I get the following...

"Windows cannot access \\mydomain.com@SSL@2078\DavWWWRoot"

Then I click on "Diagnose". It responds with..

"You don't have permission to access the share"

I'm at a loss. This is my main cPanel user. Tech support couldn't figure it out (but admitted he didn't know much about it ). I'm not sure of where to begin. Maybe there are some additional log files somewhere?

Any pointers would be much appreciated. Thanks!

2. lumberg

lumberg Registered

cPanel Access Level:
    Website Owner
    Weird, it won't let me edit my post because it says it's 'spam'.

Anyway.... just wanted to add that I did confirm that port 2078 is open. So that doesn't appear to be related to the problem.

3. lumberg

lumberg Registered

cPanel Access Level:
    Website Owner
    Well WinSCP comes through for me again.
    I was able to get to my 'web drive' just fine with WinSCP... using the exact same settings that won't work with the built-in Windows webdav client. No idea why.
    But anyway... I guess I'm good now.

4. cPanelMichael

cPanelMichael Forums Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hello @lumberg,

Do you notice any output to /usr/local/cpanel/logs/cpdavd_error_log when attempting to connect with the native WebDav client offered with Windows 10? Also, is the password you are using for the account longer than 12 characters? We received a similar report where the user addressed the issue by updating the account password from 18 characters to 12 characters.

Thank you.

5. lumberg

lumberg Registered

cPanel Access Level:
    Website Owner
    Thanks for getting back to me.
    Well.. I went back to check on things based on your feedback. And wouldn't you know... I got right in with the built-in Windows client this time. In other words, the problem I was experiencing yesterday, is magically gone.
    However... I think you hit the nail on the head. When I was first trying this yesterday, I had a password that was 16 chars. Somewhere in the midst of all that, I had changed it to a new password (to give tech support a random generated one) which, as it turns out... is 12 chars.
    So.. although I don't remember specifically, but based on what you said, I bet that after changing my password to the shorter one, I was probably done with trying the Windows thing and my next attempt was WinSCP... giving me the impression that Windows didn't work and only WinSCP did.

Long story short... I suspect you are right about the password length. If you want me test out that theory later (by changing my password back to 16 chars), let me know.

6. cPanelMichael

cPanelMichael Forums Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Feel free to let us know if switching back to a longer password results in the same issue you faced before.

Thank you.