The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Can't Access WHM by Domain

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by formadmirer, Apr 16, 2007.

1. formadmirer

formadmirer Member

Can't access whm by domain - only by IP.
    This is a new install with no accounts setup as yet.

My primary IP is xxx.xxx.xxx.252 which is in turn also used for ns1.
    I have also setup a second IP xxx.xxx.xxx.253 which is used for ns2 - even though at this point both namservers will be on this same server (I though it might be better if they were assigned separate IPs).

Nameserver IPs show up correctly in whm. If I ping them they resolve correctly. If I ping the domain name itself it does not resolve.

My /etc/hosts file looks fine by the other examples posted that I've seen.

My resolver configuration seems to be correct - I am using the nameservers from my local datacenter. Dig for google.com comes out good when I use their nameserver IPs, but fails when I use my own.

I am behind a firewall (Firebox II). The ports that I have assumed deal with DNS are open:
    43 out
    53 in/out
    113 out
    as well as many others that have to do with cpanel, whm, and general server functionality.

I am also aware that some Firebox's proxy for DNS contains bugs. However, I am not using the pre-defined proxy and have simply opened port 53 both in and out. Also, I'm not even sure that the bug pertains to this particular unit as every mention I could find simply says the bug is in Firebox Firewalls without mentioning the specific model(s).

Anyone with any help to offer please respond.

2. formadmirer

formadmirer Member

More...

Found a message in named.conf stating that bind 8.1 uses unpriveledged port for DNS and to uncomment a line below to force port 53 usage and did so, then restarted bind.

Now dig works for google.com with my nameserver IPs.
    However, I still cannot access WHM by domain, and I still cannot ping the domain.

One more note - last night when I was setting up WHM I got this error when adding nameserver 2:

The zone for the root domain nameservercenter.com is missing, or could not be read. The ip address will be read from the webserver configuration and a new zone will be created for this subdomain. Query Depth Too Long, unable to fetch nameservers for ns2.nameservercenter.com (Query was ns2.nameservercenter.com, depth was 4) Bind reconfiguring on alicia using rndc
    Created DNS entry for ns2.nameservercenter.com
    Add Complete

Don't know what it means, but it looked bad enough that I copied it to notepad so I could look into it further...

3. formadmirer

formadmirer Member

Solved

Fixed. Added A record in Cpanel for my host name and now everything resolves and works correctly. I would have thought Cpanel would set this up automatically, but it didn't. So it leaves me to wonder how everyone else accesses their Cpanels by domain name after initial installation, or is manually adding the A record something everyone already knows to do?