Can't add http auth user (password protect directories)

erinspice

Feb 12, 2006
Hi, a client is having the following problem: He has several nested subdirectories, some of whose names contain spaces. When he tries to password protect a directory where there is a space in the path, he can successfully turn on the option to require a password (the checkbox at the top), but he cannot add a user/password and gets this error, which contains an incorrect path from which all the spaces have been stripped.

User Modified
The user fred now has the password wilma Internal Error, can't find that folder [/home/username/public_html/sub/sub/subwithspacemissing/sub]
For instance, if the path should be /home/username/public_html/foo bar/, cPanel is looking for /home/username/public_html/foobar/ with no spaces, and of course, not finding it. How can I fix this?

erinspice

Feb 12, 2006
The customer, since reporting the initial error, has informed me that this used to work with these same directories a year ago, and sometime at the end of 2006 it stopped working. Does anyone know anything about this?

chirpy

Verifed Vendor
Jun 15, 2002
Go on, have a guess
Sounds like a bug in the cPanel code if it's stripping out the spaces through the UI. You should log a bugzilla entry with details on how to recreate the problem. In the meantime, they'll have to update the .htpasswd and .htaccess files manually.

cPDan

cPanel Staff
Staff member
Mar 9, 2004
Just to let you know that I'm looking into the code for this now. Thanks for the info! I'll let you know how it comes along :)

cPDan

cPanel Staff
Staff member
Mar 9, 2004
Hello again,

I'm having difficulty reproducing that exactly, I did discover this on my test server:

http://bugzilla.cpanel.net/show_bug.cgi?id=5469

but its not the same issue really.

Coulds you create a support ticket at support.cpanel.net and make it "ATTN: Dan" and mention this forum URL in it so I can take a look at the problem?

Thanks!

karlos

Oct 1, 2003
Hello cpdan,

I have CPanel 10.9.1-STABLE 14304 and when I try to create a user for a protected folder, in the "Password Protect Directories" of Cpanel X, I get the same error. :confused:

Error, can't find that folder [/home/canal16/public_html/unacarpetaprotegida]