The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Can't add new account, DNS problem

Discussion in 'Bind / DNS / Nameserver Issues' started by georgiecasey, Apr 4, 2006.

1. georgiecasey

georgiecasey Registered

Hi,

I'm trying to setup a new account/website but cPanel won't let me as the domain name I'm trying to use is already in use as my nameservers. When I setup the server, I had the nameservers set as ns1.domain1.com and ns2.domain1.com and my main website was www.domain2.com

Now I want to setup www.domain1.com but it wont do it. So can I remove the nameservers and then setup the site, and then add back the nameservers?

2. bmcgrail

bmcgrail Well-Known Member

You should be able to remove the DNS ZONE in WHM for domain1.com. Then create your new web hosting account www.domain1.com. This will re-create the zone file for domain1.com.

Before doing so backup your old zone file and verify that all the records you need are added back.

SSH into box
    cd /var/named
    cp domain1.com.db domain1.com.db.bak
    cat domain1.com.db (to see what records exist)
    then go into WHM, kill the zone, and create the account.

Then cat the new domain1.com.db and see if anything is missing. If it is you can go into the cpanel for your new web account and edit the DNS there to add anything back you might need.

3. Rosa

Rosa Member

Yes, I would also suggest you to delete the dns zone for the domain1.com and then try adding the account for the domain domain1.com.

4. georgiecasey

georgiecasey Registered

yeah, it worked when i just deleted the old zone files. i then just restored the backups and everythins working again!

thanks