The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

can't add new forwarder to gmail

Discussion in 'E-mail Discussions' started by JohnnyBob, Feb 26, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JohnnyBob

JohnnyBob Active Member

Hello,
    I just tried to add a new forwarder from my domain to my gmail.com address via cpanel as I've done many times before but got this error message:

"Sorry, you do not have access to the domain gmail.com"

*Note that I already have several forwarders setup to my gmail.com address and they're working fine.
    *Note that I am able to add other forwarders OK, for example to my aol.com address. But not to my gmail.com address.
    *Also note (if relevant?) that gmail.com is included as a permitted sender in the SPF record I setup for my domain.

I'm baffled... What could cause this? How to fix it?

2. JohnnyBob

JohnnyBob Active Member

Re: can't add new forwarder to gmail.com

To clarify...
    I discovered that the forwarder was indeed added to gmail.com because it appears in my list of forwarders afterwards. However that error message still happens whenever I try to add a forwarder to gmail.com. So this is apparently some kind of bug or corruption in cpanel...(?)

(see attachment)

Attached Files:

#2 JohnnyBob, Feb 26, 2015
    Last edited: Feb 27, 2015
  3. JasMax

JasMax Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Re: can't add new forwarder to gmail.com

Hello,

Same issue with the new release 11.48.0.13.

Might be bug?

4. cPanelMichael

cPanelMichael Forums Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hello :)

I've been unable to reproduce this issue. Could you let us know the specific SPF record you are using (use examples instead of actual domain names and IP addresses). Also, could you verify that gmail.com is not added to your /etc/localdomains or /etc/userdomains file?

Thank you.

5. JohnnyBob

JohnnyBob Active Member

Here's my current SPF record with 12.34.56.78 substituted for the actual IP:
    v=spf1 +a +mx +ip4:12.34.56.78 ~all
    My host (or something/someone?) must have changed it overnight because the one I created awhile back included gmail.com and several other domains as permitted senders. I'll have to ask my host about that. However it doesn't affect the error message when entering a gmail.com address as forwardee.

In the meantime FWIW my domain host has responded that the error message is a bug in cpanel, that it can be ignored because the forwarder is properly entered, and will be fixed in the next version of cpanel! So looks like they assigned you that task already... :)

As for the /etc/localdomains file, I have no idea what that is, nor where it's located, so would need details how to access/check it...

6. cPanelMichael

Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    You won't be able to access those files without root access to the system. Could you ask your hosting provider for the case number associated with that bug so we can update this thread with that information?

Thank you.

7. JohnnyBob

JohnnyBob Active Member

I can access a lower level "etc" folder for my domain via ftp, but there's a bunch of junk in there. I'm not familiar with it and have no idea how to access the info you want. I certainly didn't change anything therein intentionally.

FWIW my host is currently using cpanel 11.48.0 (build 13). I have no idea when the version was changed/updated, but this problem with gmail forwarders started very recently (within the last few days).

As for a case number associated with the bug, I'm feeling uninspired to pursue this further. But you can try asking my domain host, if you wish:
    3ix.org
    tech trouble ticket: [BHRD-877751]: can't add forwarder to gmail.com address

8. cPanelMichael

Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    You won't be able to access the information I mentioned in the previous post. That's intended for an administrator with root access to the server. The account's /etc directory is unrelated and won't include that information.

The reason I'm asking for a case number is because I don't see an active case open with the description you have provided. I just wanted to verify that the open case they are referring to is in-fact related to the issue you have described. Feel free to link them to this thread if they wish to communicate here.

Thank you.

9. JohnnyBob

JohnnyBob Active Member

OK. I've gone this far, so might as well... I'll pass along your request for a case number associated with the bug as well as a link to this thread.

10. JohnnyBob

JohnnyBob Active Member

This gmail forwarder bug continues.

In addition my DKIM and SPF settings keep changing spontanteously, cause unknown. Maybe my host is doing it, I don't know. I've asked them *not* to change them because they're how I want.

11. cPanelMichael

Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    cPanel will not alter the SPF/DKIM records automatically. I suggest consulting with your hosting provider about this. Also, were you able to determine the case number?

Thank you.

12. JohnnyBob

JohnnyBob Active Member

They said they didn't alter SPF/DKIM in their latest response, but in a prior response said they might have. I've now emphasized that point with them.

I know nothing about "case number" re the gmail forwarder bug. You'll have to contact my host if you want it. I gave you my host name above and the tech support ticket number so they could find it easily. Also I already gave them a link to this thread and told them you requested a case number. That's all I can do. Either you or they will have to assume some initiative! I can't be a go-between forever!

13. cPanelMichael

Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
  14. JohnnyBob

JohnnyBob Active Member

I have no control over what they do, or not do. Contact them yourself if you're interested.

15. JohnnyBob

JohnnyBob Active Member

FYI my host just updated their cPanel Version from 11.48.0 (build 13) to 11.48.1 (build 2) which did *not* fix this gmail forwarder issue.

16. Infopro

Infopro cPanel Sr. Product Evangelist
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Twitter:
    I don't recall any other recent threads on these forums on this topic. Why should cPanel pursue them for you if its a problem you're having with your host's cPanel Powered Server and can't be troubled with? You host can't even bother to update their very far out of date, seemingly unlicensed cPanel demo, running cPanel 9 on a HostDime server.

I'm unable to duplicate the issue here either, on multiple servers.

If the issue persists, you'll need to get back in touch with your Hosting Provider. If they won't look into it, or refuse to assist you with the issue, that's on you to decide what to do next. If they can't solve it for you, they'll need to open a ticket to cPanel Technical Support. As a Website Owner you'll not have access to the system to look into the issue yourself any closer.

The only way this can be looked into and resolved properly is if the server owner contacts cPanel Technical Support. cPanel does not normally contact Hosting Providers on your behalf, you'll need to nudge them to contact cPanel. Or, live with the issue.

17. JohnnyBob

JohnnyBob Active Member

I know nothing of which you speak and have never heard of the hostdime server. My 3ix.org host is running the cpanel version as I mentioned above (not version 9).

I can live with it, just thought I should point out that it's an ongoing problem with cpanel. Obviously nobody cares enough to fix it. c'est la vie :)

18. Infopro

Infopro cPanel Sr. Product Evangelist
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Twitter:
    Fix what? Two people in this thread have attempted to duplicate it and cannot. If your Host thinks there's a bug, he's welcome to open a ticket to cPanel Technical Support on your behalf and they'll be more than happy to take a closer look.

Are you able to switch themes to the new Paper Lantern? If yes, do so and try adding the forwarder again and let us know how it goes.

Thanks.

19. JohnnyBob

JohnnyBob Active Member

Same error with Paper Lantern theme as x3 theme. The gmail forwarder is entered into the list OK, but gives a spurious error message that the gmail.com domain cannot be accessed. This happens whether or not the gmail address is valid. It does *not* happen with any other email domains such as aol.com, charter.net, etc.

Note that this only started happening very recently, the last 2-3 cpanel versions. Here are some possibilities that come to mind:

-cpanel attempts to contact gmail.com to verify the address is valid but gets an incorrect response
    -gmail has placed a standing block against accepting new gmail.com forwarders in cpanel
    -latest versions of cpanel may depend on/require special auxiliary software such as .NET, Silverlight, ... (I only have .NET 1.0)
    -latest versions of cpanel might be incompatible with certain software such as antivirus/antimalware or HOSTS file (I use avast antivirus and the MVPS HOSTS file)
    -latest versions of cpanel might be incompatible with certain older op systems such as W98, XP, Vista (I'm using XP SP3 Home)
    -latest versions of cpanel may only work with certain browsers, not others (I'm using Firefox 36)

20. cPanelMichael

Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hello :)

While it's certainly possible your issue is related to a flaw in the cPanel software, this seems more like an issue with your hosting provider's server configuration. Or, they could be under the false assumption that it's related to an existing internal case. While communicating to a hosting company for an end-user is not a normal practice, I did go ahead and make an effort to contact them. However, their technical support is only available for existing customers, with login details required. Thus, unless they decide to provide you with the case number, open a support ticket with us, or post to our forums here, there's not much more we can investigate (you don't have root access to the server yourself).

Thank you.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.