Please whitelist cPanel in your adblocker so that you’re able to see our version release promotions, thanks!

The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Can't boot kernel 3.10.0-693.21.1.el7.x86_64

Discussion in 'Workarounds and Optimization' started by JIKOmetrix, Mar 17, 2018.

Tags:
  1. JIKOmetrix

JIKOmetrix Well-Known Member

Hello,

I'm having trouble with my server. It will not boot kernel 3.10.0-693.21.1.el7.x86_64. I've also tried to manually copy 3.10.0-693.11.6.el7.x86_64 from one of our servers that boots to 3.10.0-693.11.6.el7.x86_64. It won't boot.

The boot process ends up timing out and then exited in emergency mode with a command prompt.

I'm not sure where to start. If I netboot from one of the available kernels (3.14.32-xxxx-grs-ipv6-64) from the DC I'm in it will boot.

However, I signed up for kernelcare and it will not support patching a netboot kernel.

Any help, hand holding welcome, in giving place to look for clues would be great.

The system is CentOS 7.4. I tried to yum -y update kernel but that did not help either.

Thanks,
    Mike

2. 24x7server

24x7server Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hi,

It appears that your server is failing to boot into the original kernel that you installed. You will have to check via the IPMI provided and check the exact reason for it to not boot and fix it.. You can boot through netboot kernel but that will be a read-only type for you, so avoid it..

3. JIKOmetrix

Hello,

I tried to many things after viewing the IPMI screen during boot. It appears to hang around a screen saying no support for DPO or FUA. Then if I wait long enough I get the dracut timeout script messages.

I've tried 3 difference kernels.

One kernel was initramfs-3.10.0-514.21.2.el7.centos.plus.x86_64. I read something that seemed to point to this having wider compatibility.

I've tried to boot to 3.14.32-xxxx-grs-ipv6-64 then dracut -f initramfs-3.10.0-514.21.2.el7.centos.plus.x86_64.img 3.10.0-514.21.2.el7.centos.plus.x86_64.

I've tried adding nomodeset to boot commands.

I can get no kernel other than that 3.14.32-xxxx-grs-ipv6-64 kernel to boot this server.

So thinking there was something a miss on this particular server, I tried all of the same things on a second server that is having the same trouble. Oddly enough both servers are CentOS 7.4 Dedicated servers. I have a 3rd server that is also CentOS 7.4 that is a cloud based server and it boots 3.10.0-693.11.6.el7.x86_64 without issue and kernelcare is happy and supports it.

I think I need to find a sysadmin that know how to track this kind issue down.

I'm open to suggestions.

Thanks,
    Mike

4. cPanelMichael

cPanelMichael Forums Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
  5. JIKOmetrix

Hello,

Thank you. I'll review.

- Mike

6. JIKOmetrix

Hello,

Just an update. So it turns out that issue goes back further. OVH provides a custom kernel to address compatibility issues with certain servers that have SOC soldered on chips the intel 'D' series and motherboard drivers. They say you can change the kernel you just have to compile the correct drivers that are NOT included with most Linux OS's due to the motherboard of the server not being included on the Linux OS compatibility list.

Again, It can be done. Just not easily. This appears to affect only their Hosting level dedicated servers. They do provide other kernels however, you have to be on the lookout for updates to the OVH kernels.

So, If I had bought an enterprise level server this would not have been an issue.

Live and learn.

So it all boils down to the base kernel not having the correct drivers. They need to be compiled in for the specific board needs.

- Mike

cPanelMichael likes this.