Please whitelist cPanel in your adblocker so that you’re able to see our version release promotions, thanks!

The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!

Can't change email password through webmail

Discussion in 'E-mail Discussion' started by aaron4osu, Jul 19, 2018.

1. aaron4osu

aaron4osu Registered

cPanel Access Level:
    Website Owner
    I have the business hosting package with hostgator which uses cpanel 70.0.54. Currently none of the email accounts I have set up for clients are able to change their passwords through their webmail login, so basically, they can't have a secure password known only to them. I can personally login to the main hosting cpanel account and update a password for them, but that's not the same.

When they login to webmail at webmail.domain.com there is a dropdown at the top right of the page next to their email address. When you click the drop down and select "Password & Security" it brings up the password fields and a password generator, but none of them work. Nothing happens if you click the password generator, and if you manually enter a password and click "save" nothing happens.

I have called hostgator for weeks about this and they keep telling me this is a cpanel issue and not their problem. after opening a ticket this was their response:

The password generator issue is a known problem with cPanel itself. We are working with cPanel to get this corrected, but for now the password would need to be entered manually, or changed from within cPanel on the Email Accounts page.

If you have any other questions or concerns, please do not hesitate to let us know.

David H.

Windows Administrator I
    Assisting Linux Administrator

I really don't believe that this can possible be true for all cpanel installations.

Any suggestions?

#1 aaron4osu, Jul 19, 2018
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 19, 2018
  2. rpvw

rpvw Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Everything you describe appears to work perfectly in cPanel version 72.0.10

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. aaron4osu

aaron4osu Registered

cPanel Access Level:
    Website Owner
    thanks... that's kinda what I expected. Could you please provide a screenshot that shows this screen:
    Screen Shot 2018-07-19 at 12.12.04 PM.png

also these are the errors displayed in the console.
    Screen Shot 2018-07-19 at 12.14.31 PM.png

4. rpvw

rpvw Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Here you go:
    Screenshot-2018-7-19 Webmail - Password Security.png

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. cPanelLauren

cPanelLauren Forums Analyst II
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    Hi @aaron4osu

Along with @rpvw I'm not seeing these issues on any of my installations of cPanel (I have 4 in different environments for testing)

What I do see is that it appears your provider is using a custom template, that screenshot you're showing is not the default paper lantern template. I don't know if they will change it for you but I would assume this would not be occurring in the standard paper_lantern theme.

Thanks!