The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Can't change primary domain

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by switch998, Jul 17, 2016.

1. switch998

switch998 Registered

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hi,

I'm encountering an unusual error when attempting to update an account in WHM. For some reason, the account's current primary domain is set as an IP address and I'd like to update it to a valid domain. When I attempt to change it to 'xyz.com', WHM fails with an error:
    "Sorry, the given old domain is an invalid domain"

So, I cannot correct my primary domain because the old one is invalid.

I should also mention that I am still able to create new accounts with IP addresses for the domain, however I can not modify anything or delete them with the web GUI due to this bug.

Is there a script that I can run over SSH to alter the primary domain on the account without encountering this error? I really need a workaround for this issue.

2. cPanelMichael

cPanelMichael Forums Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hello,

Could you review Guide To Opening An Effective Forums Thread and let us know the version of cPanel installed on your system? I'm currently unable to reproduce the issue of creating a new account using the IP address as the domain name:

Code:
    (XID r8bmft) “10.10.1.1” is not a valid domain name per <a href="http://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc1035">RFC 1035</a>.
    As for the removal, try to manually replace the entries for this account in the /var/cpanel/users/$username and /var/cpanel/userdata/$username/* files. Then, run the "/scripts/updateuserdomains" command and let us know if the issue persists when modifying the account.

Thank you.