The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cant configure outlook.

Discussion in 'E-mail Discussions' started by gadalf, Dec 4, 2014.

1. gadalf

gadalf Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hello,
    One of my clients cant configure its outlook in its office (it can be configured in other places)
    When they do the configuration steps it fails in the last step, shows that the username and password is invalid.
    They can login via webmail with the same credentials and the test email send by outlook comes in mailbox (checked via webmail)
    Any suggestions?

2. Infopro

Infopro cPanel Sr. Product Evangelist
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Twitter:
    He may be able to visit yourdomain.com/webmail and use his full email address and email password to login there. On the first screen where you can select your Mail client, for example Horde or RoundCube, below those icons is an option to "Configure Mail Client" if he clicks into that, he'll find the exact, proper settings for use in his computers mail client.

Depending on his email client and Operating System, he may be able to use the Automatic Configuration Script there to setup his account automagically.

HTH!

3. gadalf

gadalf Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Yes, I know that. The configuration fails in both automatic configuration and manual configuration.
    I also have put their IP in white list.
    It shows that the user name and password is invalid

4. Infopro

Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Twitter:
    Well, to be honest, common sense tells me if he can setup his email client:
    Except for this one, you may be dealing with user error here somewhere. Or, we're missing a few details of clarity.

Can you tell us what the name of his mail client is, exactly? For example is he using Outlook 2007 at one location, and Outlook 2003 at another? Not sure it matters much, but, more details may jog a few more ideas from someone here on the forums.

5. gadalf

gadalf Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    He uses outlook 2007, and the same email account is configured in other places (means using other internet providers)
    About the errors, in the third step in which outlook should login in the account it says invalid login. As I mentioned also the test email is send by outlook, it can be found when using webmail.
    Its obvious that the problem is with their network but don't know how to resolve this problem.

6. Infopro

Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Twitter:
    Port number issue? Some ISPs block port 25.

Check this:
    Home » Service Configuration » Service Manager >> Exim Mail Server (on another port)

Do you have another port listed here or no? If no, Add port 587 were the forum provides. Ask your user to reset all settings and use this new port instead.

If he's attempting to use the auto config option provided by his cPanel, I'm not sure if that works in Outlook 2007 exactly, can't test it right now either, my windows rig died recently, so, setting up manually is suggested.

7. gadalf

gadalf Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Yes, I use port 26,
    How to check about port 587?
    Yes even outlook2007 get the configuration automatically

- - - Updated - - -

Do you mean, to add also port 587 as additional port?
    if yes will this cause any problem for the others?

8. Infopro

Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Twitter:
    Where did you get port 26 at? Exim Mail Server listens on Port 25 by default. This thread may be of some use, there are many more like it on these forums:
    Setup second port for outgoing mail server - cPanel Forums

Once you've added another port to the Service Manager, and opened that port, for example, port 587, in your firewall, your users can go to the same page in cPanel where the Auto Config scripts are located, scroll to bottom of page to find the exact details needed to manually configure their email client. You'd note there, that port 587, the port you just added to Service Manager, is now listed to be used for the non SSL settings option.

9. gadalf

gadalf Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    It looks that is not enabled port 26, port26.jpg
    I read that thread and will proceed as you suggest, and it also tells that it will not affect other people using outlook ? right.
    This is very important to me.
    And if it is the post problem how come they send emails via web mail?
    Is any change that their internet provider IP is listed as blacklist?

- - - Updated - - -

And when you say open that port in your firewall you mean server firewall?
    Thanks a lot for helping me and sorry for bothering with a lot of questions.

10. Infopro

Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Twitter:
    Take a very close look at those setting for configuring your mail client I mentioned above, you'll note incoming, and outgoing, ports.

Guessing, yes probably. I had Comcast for years and the Comcast IP range I was on was always listed.
    Check: /http://www.spamhaus.org/lookup/

Yes. Did you have port 26 opened in your firewall previously?

11. gadalf

gadalf Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    I went to scf Edit ConfigServer Firewall SMTP_PORTS and there are listed this ports: 25,465,587
    So I should add port 26,465,587 too in Home » Service Configuration » Service Manager >> Exim Mail Server and enable it right?

12. Infopro

Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Twitter:
    You could remove the port 26 from, Home » Service Configuration » Service Manager >> Exim Mail Server, and replace it with 587. It's already open in your firewall as you've noted already.

Tick both boxes and save.

13. gadalf

gadalf Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    That dit not resolved the problem!
    I configured their email in gmail, so they are using gmail as mail client but they still insist in using outlook.
    I don't know what to do.

14. gadalf

gadalf Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Now my question is, since I have configured the email is gmail, so they are using gmail as mail client and configured it with non secure configuration with port 587, even if they complain sometimes for delays in sending and receiving emails, looks like the problem is not the ports?
    They It also told me that he has added my ip in white list in their firewall.

15. Infopro

Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Twitter:
    My apologies, but I don't understand the question. Could you please rephrase it some other way?

16. gadalf

gadalf Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Also some one suggested that the problem might be with ssl certificate. I use open ssl.
    If the problem was with the certificate then it would have worked with non ssl configuration.
    Is any chance that their firewall allows only ssl connections and should not be open ssl?

- - - Updated - - -

You know gmail can also be configures as mail client same as outlook, I used a non ssl connection for this configuration with port 587.
    It works, even if sometimes they complain that their sending and arriving emails comes with delays. Does this mean that the problem is not with the port?

17. Infopro

Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Twitter:
  18. gadalf

gadalf Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    I don't think this is my case, in my case gmail is the mail client ,
    and my concern is not why gmail delays the emails but to configure outlook and can we find a clue between the delais with gmail and configurations fail of outlook.
    I also have to remind that once I configured the outlook in a laptop outside with an other network and it worked fine and it stopped when used their network.

19. Infopro

Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Twitter:
    I've got to be honest with you here. You're so all over the map on this issue you're faced with, I really have no clue what the basic root of the problem even is any more.

You use outlook, and email works, you use outlook on another computer and it doesn't. You use Gmail for email for your mail client and it works, and then it doesn't. Email makes it to Webmail on your server, but not to outlook connected to the same account. Besides that, you use Gmail for your mail.

Maybe we should start over from the top. I'm not about to read all your comments again from two separate threads to try and make sense out of something that if you took a moment to spell out the issue, clearly, leaving all the other things you've tried and failed and things you tried somewhere else that worked, and whatever else, and just list the details of the base issue. Again, from the top.

If you'd rather not, please feel free to open a ticket to cPanel Technical Support and lay it out clearly for them in a ticket. They should be able to help, those guys can fix anything.

Also, if you're having issues with Gmail, you should contact them.