can't connect to server with ssh

JPedro

Registered
Feb 19, 2015
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
Hello

First i want to say i'm really novice, i'll appreciate your patience.

After a Server crash, that was only restarted with server restart on cloud hosting machine.
When logging back to whm now i get the following message:
"In order to access the interface, you will need to make sure that the software license on this server is active and installed." Asking to connect with ssh as root and run "/usr/local/cpanel/cpkeyclt".

But when i try to connect i get the message "Permission denied (publickey,gssapi-keyex,gssapi-with-mic)."

Before server crash i had been exploring and setting a public key, but never finished process to connect with key, and think that's why permission denied.

i have a copy of key, a text that starts with "Generating public/private rsa key pair..."

Can i get some help to setup and connect with key via ssh (if possible using mac terminal)?

Thank you
JPedro

24x7ss

Sep 30, 2014
India
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
Twitter
How you are accessing your server now ? If you are having KVM or IPMI access then try reinstalling openssh server and client. This will fix your SSH issue.

JPedro

Registered
Feb 19, 2015
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
How you are accessing your server now ? If you are having KVM or IPMI access then try reinstalling openssh server and client. This will fix your SSH issue.
Hi, thanks for reply. I can´t access server. Always access with whm or ssh few times. Never used neither KVM or IPMI access.

madmanmachines

Nov 28, 2014
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
But when i try to connect i get the message "Permission denied (publickey,gssapi-keyex,gssapi-with-mic)."
This error indicates password authentication has been disabled. You'll need to correct the directive 'PasswordAuthentication no' or add it back to your sshd conf at '/etc/ssh/sshd_config'. You'll either need to contact your host, acquire a KVM, or access from a control panel file manager or terminal that has root access.

24x7ss

Sep 30, 2014
India
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
Twitter
You can ask your DataCenter to provide your IPMI or KVM and access the server in same way you are using ssh.

Before going with IPMI I will suggest you to check below setting in WHM
Home » Security Center » SSH Password Authorization Tweak

Make sure password authentication method is enabled.

Reactions: madmanmachines

lx24

Oct 2, 2014
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
As it's asking for cpanel license update, you will not be able to do any changes from whm. You will need to get IPMI to get into ssh. You will need to dig out the exact problem through logs "/var/log/audit/audit.log" Make sure SElinux is disabled. Also try with reinstalling openssh, and reset the password for root.

If you face issue then paste the logs here...

cPanelMichael

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 11, 2011
Hello :)

Yes, as mentioned, you will need to consult with your provider for assistance with accessing SSH on your system if you can't access SSH or WHM. They can reset the SSH configuration file via console access.

Thank you.