Can't delete a folder in RoundCube

DemiDee

Dec 30, 2016
UK
cPanel Access Level
Website Owner
I seem to have two spam folders and cannot for the life of me get rid of one of them. I've done everything one normally does in order to delete files successfully, but this darn thing won't move. Even if I re-name it, I end up with two folders, one of which I can delete and this one: which won't budge. Help!

cPanelLauren

Product Owner
Staff member
Nov 14, 2017
Houston
Hi @DemiDee

If you go to RoundCube -> Settings -> Folders are you able to deselect one of the spam folders and delete it?

Could you also possibly show a screen shot of the Folders UI if not?

Thanks!

Reactions: DemiDee

DemiDee

Dec 30, 2016
UK
cPanel Access Level
Website Owner
So, we now have Junk, Trash and Spam folders, and none of them can be deleted. I understand that Trash and Junk are special folders which cannot be deleted (not sure why we really need both since they seem so interchangeable), but the spam folder is driving us all crazy. I don't even think it's something I set up, since I always use upper case to begin folder names.

cPanelLauren

Product Owner
Staff member
Nov 14, 2017
Houston
Hi @DemiDee

Based on those screenshots you have a Junk folder and a spam folder not two spam folders. I know they seem to be used for the same purpose but they're there for different reasons.

1. Junk is there as a part of roundcube and unable to be removed, or unsubscribed
  2. Spam is present due to the administrator enabling the spam box (flag mail as spam by spam assassin and send it to a special spam box) while this is unable to be removed, you can unsubscribe from it, though keep in mind if you're finding mail flagged as spam in this folder and you want to ensure legitimate mail isn't flagged you won't see this folder anymore.

Trash is unrelated to both as it's just for trash and the behavior of the folder is quite different than others.

DemiDee

Dec 30, 2016
UK
cPanel Access Level
Website Owner
Still cannot remove the 'spam' folder. I'm able to remove it via the usual method in 'Manage Folders', but it just comes back as soon as I go back to my mailbox. Not sure why we have a junk AND a trash folder, also. But it's the 'spam' folder that's driving me nuts!

Attachments

cPanelLauren

Product Owner
Staff member
Nov 14, 2017
Houston
Still cannot remove the 'spam' folder. I'm able to remove it via the usual method in 'Manage Folders', but it just comes back as soon as I go back to my mailbox. Not sure why we have a junk AND a trash folder, also. But it's the 'spam' folder that's driving me nuts!

I did note in my previous response here that you won't be able to remove it but you should be able to unsubscribe from it. You have a second spam folder due to having the spam box for SpamAssassin enabled, RoundCube webmail comes with its own as well.

DemiDee

Dec 30, 2016
UK
cPanel Access Level
Website Owner
Thank you so much, Lauren. Unfortunately I cannot unsubscribe from it and that is the problem. It will say 'successfully unsubscribed' when I do that, but as soon as I go back to my mail, it is back.

DemiDee

Dec 30, 2016
UK
cPanel Access Level
Website Owner
Sure, Lauren. I'm attaching a screenshot (1) of what it looks like both before and AFTER I've unsubscribed, as well as a screenshot (2) of what it says when I unsubscribe.

Attachments

cPanelLauren

Product Owner
Staff member
Nov 14, 2017
Houston
Hi @DemiDee

So the one called spam won't be able to be unsubscribed from while you have SpamAssassin's Spam box enabled. You can though unsubscribe from the one titled Junk - in this screenshot it looks like you're trying to unsub from spam.

DemiDee

Dec 30, 2016
UK
cPanel Access Level
Website Owner
And I wouldn't mind the spam folder being there, but I cannot rename it with a capital letter as per all the others, nor can I move it to another place, nor does it get used for anything. If spam assassin is using it, then it's not doing a good job, because spam never goes in there :-(

DemiDee

Dec 30, 2016
UK
cPanel Access Level
Website Owner
I get all my folders, including the pesky spam folder.
I just changed it to that folder, and voila! It has now replaced the standard 'Junk' folder. Thank you!!
Lauren, does this mean I can drag and drop/move any incoming spam to that folder now, and it will be recognised as spam?

Reactions: cPanelLauren

cPanelLauren

Product Owner
Staff member
Nov 14, 2017
Houston
Hi @DemiDee

I just changed it to that folder, and voila! It has now replaced the standard 'Junk' folder. Thank you!!
Awesome! I'm glad to hear that

Lauren, does this mean I can drag and drop/move any incoming spam to that folder now, and it will be recognised as spam?
With spam box enabled anything flagged as ***SPAM*** should be getting moved there already we can confirm if its enabled or not though. If you go to cPanel>>Email>>Spam Filters -> Can you tell me if " Move New Spam to a Separate Folder (Spam Box) is enabled?

Also does any of the spam you're getting include the ***SPAM*** in the subject line?