The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Can't delete a folder

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by masterfujin, Feb 7, 2011.

1. masterfujin

masterfujin Registered

Im having problem with this folder which is named "PEAR" at the /public_html. I installed this sort of application and I'm trying to delete it because I want to install a new version, but it keeps coming back. Do you know what the problem could be?

2. forum17

forum17 Active Member

Hello,

If you are not able to delete it then make sure ownership of the directory is correct. Also check the attribute set to this directory. You can check the same using command.

lsattr it shall be ------------- . If it contains a/u/i then that could be the problem.

Regards,
    host.co.in

3. cPanelTristan

cPanelTristan Quality Assurance Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hello,

To expand on what forum17 has mentioned, you could run the following in root SSH to see the ownership and file permissions for the PEAR folder:

Code:
    ls -ld /home/user/public_html/PEAR
    Please replace user with the cPanel username. If the directory is not owned by the right user (so possibly root or nobody owns the file) or has 000 file permissions, this could well be why it isn't letting you remove it.

Next, for the lsattr command, again put the full path for public_html to see the permissions on it:

Code:
    lsattr /home/user/public_html
    Then check what the PEAR folder shows for that command. You might also want to drill into the folder to run lsattr on it, since anything with immutable attributes will prevent the folder from being deleted (here immutable will be an i showing up when running lsattr). You can unset the immutable bit on a file or folder by running:

Code:
    chattr -i /home/user/public_html/PEAR
    If there are files within the directory that are immutable, you can do this recursively:

Code:
    chattr -i -R /home/user/public_html/PEAR
    Thanks.