The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Can't disable dnsadmin since 2016 Apr auto-update

Discussion in 'Bind / DNS / Nameserver Issues' started by Moses Moore, Apr 28, 2016.

1. Moses Moore

Moses Moore Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    WHM 56.0 (build 8). Recent auto-upgrade. I'm getting alerts that 'dnsadmin' isn't running, and it automatically started it for me... it also automatically turned it on, and I can't shut it off in the WHM web-based interface.

I don't use it. I will never use it. I've already set "Home > Service Configuration > Nameserver Selection" to "Disabled". None of the machines participate in a DNS cluster. If I turn off monitoring for that service I get an alert once a day telling me that 'dnsadmin' isn't being monitored and WHM feels that is a mistake.

Why is dnsadmin now a requirement for every WHM/cPanel machine? If it is unessential (because none of the WHM/cPanel machines will manage domain names or DNS) how can I get rid of it?

2. cPanelMichael

cPanelMichael Forums Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hello :)

The modified dnsadmin functionality is documented in our version 56 release notes at:

56 Release Notes - Documentation - cPanel Documentation

Here's the relevant section:

Also, it's important to note the service is automatically enabled in dormant mode. Here's the section of the release notes related to this:

Thus, you should not see a negative impact on resource usage. That said, we will need to determine why you are receiving email notifications about the service failure. Could you let us know the content of the email you are receiving? Also, do you notice any specific entries in /var/log/chkservd.log at corresponding times?

Thank you.

3. Moses Moore

Moses Moore Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    My mistake -- I thought I was getting it daily but actually it was coming only once from each machine that was getting cPanel upgraded. It alerted me ' The service “dnsadmin” appears to be down. The system’s command to check or to restart this service failed. ' probably because I turned it off on every machine. Now that it's no longer optional, it's safe for cPanel to assume it's only turned off if something went wrong.

4. cPanelMichael

cPanelMichael Forums Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator