The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Can't get my head round nameservers - advice much appreciated

Discussion in 'Bind / DNS / Nameserver Issues' started by synergy, Jul 11, 2007.

1. synergy

synergy Member

Hi guys and girls,

I am having major problems getting my head around namservers.

My specific problem is getting my domain name (reculture.co.uk) to point to it's account on my dedicated server.

My server is owned by Uk2net.com and my domain is registered via Godaddy.

At first I just pointed my domain at the default nameservers that my server assigned to the account when I created it (ns1.uk2net.com and ns2.uk2net.com respectively). However this didn't propagate.

Instead, I tried setting custom domain hosts over at Godaddy, and pointed my domain at the same nameservers as above, along with the two IP addresses that I was given. Again, this didn't work.

A friend told me I have to adjust my servers hostname and nameservers via WHM to reflect my ownership, meaning create my own personal nameservers which I would then be able to use at Godaddy to point my domain correctly.

My original hostname is: server50899.uk2net.com which I changed to server50899.reculture.co.uk.

Along his reasoning, I would have to make two nameservers (ns1.reculture.co.uk and ns2.reculture.co.uk) each with their own IP.

I can't help but think this is wrong. I would essentially be making pointing my domain at nameservers which are attached to an account that has no nameservers - chicken and the egg.

Could someone with a bigger brain than me please fish me out of this sea of confusion.

2. jayh38

jayh38 Well-Known Member

Your friend has you on the right track..

If you changed your host name in whm, you can then go to the configuration pages to change / update your name servers for whm.

Add your name servers via the nameserver wizard and assign A records and be sure they are correct. your ns1 will usually be assigned to your share IP by default, this is perfectly fine. Your ns2 will be assigned to the next IP available in the pool.

Once you have A records added, you can then go to godaddy and create your private name servers. Godaddy will not allow creation of private name servers unless the IP can be verified on the server, so you must be sure the nameserver ip's are indeed setup correctly.

Thats pretty much it. Be sure your datacenter has reverse dns setup for your new host name and go from there.

Cheers!

3. synergy

synergy Member

Thank you for the reply Jay,

I've followed those steps and added the nameservers without any problems. You are an utter legend for helping me out. :)

I used a different domain for their creation - a domain that wont be in use for http, ftp or any other use.

I presume that as long as the corresponding accounts exist on my server, I will be able to use these private nameservers for any number of different domains?

I'd cry if I have to buy new IPs and repeat the process for each new domain I register.

4. jayh38

jayh38 Well-Known Member

That is correct. Whatever you have setup as ns1 and ns2 in your whm setup area, will be the main name servers assigned to all new domains that are added to the server unless you add a client whm and so forth.

Also, if you do add reseller accounts or for any other reason you do need to create private name servers for another domain, simply add A records directly in the dns zone for that domain such as:

ns1 14400 IN A 122.122.122.122
    ns2 14400 IN A 123.123.123.123

You can assign these A records to be the addresses of your current nameserver IPs and not require additional addresses from the IP pool.

Cheers, glad to have helped!

5. synergy

synergy Member

That's good to know, I didn't realise it was that flexible.

Thanks again, hopefully this thread will help out other people in my situation.