The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Can't log in; keeps prompting for username/password

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Fryth, Mar 8, 2010.

1. Fryth

Fryth Registered

I've got a fresh installation of cPanel on a Centos 5.4 box. It keeps prompting for username and password, and won't let me log in.

The test licence is inserted (I've verified it on verify.cpanel.net that it's a good licence, and I've also made sure the correct public IP is assigned to the box.)

http://<ip>:2082 loads, but I can't get past the login screen. I'm using the 'cpanel' account to log in. I didn't know the original password for the 'cpanel' account, so I used the passwd utility to change it.

Password Reset doesn't seem to work either - just takes you to a blank page.

Thoughts? Maybe I'm using the wrong initial username/password? (root doesn't work, and I read somewhere else on this forum that you're not supposed to use root.) Thanks for any help.

2. Infopro

Infopro cPanel Sr. Product Evangelist
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Twitter:
    If you can't login with root/password nothing else matters.
    If this is a fresh install there are no cPanel accounts to login with.

You will have to use root no matter what, on some things. Making sure you can login as root to WHM is one of first things you do. From there you can create your master reseller account and cPanel accounts.

3. ChrisRHS

ChrisRHS Well-Known Member

As stated above, you need to log into WHM prior to cPanel. You need to go to port 2087:

yourip:2087

Once in, you can create an account, then log into that account with the proper username and password, or, as the root user.

4. Fryth

Fryth Registered

Thanks, that was it. Guess I didn't read the instructions as closely as I possibly could.

Problem's resolved. Thx for your help.