The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Can't log into email accounts after server move

Discussion in 'E-mail Discussions' started by shann123, Dec 21, 2009.

1. shann123

shann123 Registered

I just moved a website to a new server running Centos 5.4 and cPanel 11.25.0-R42213 - WHM 11.25.0 using the "Copy an account from another server option" in WHM. Both servers are running the same version of cpanel and are nearly identical (old server is a dedicated and new one is a VPS).

Everything is working great except that I'm not able to log into any webmail account unless I first change the password through CPanel, otherwise I get a "Unknown user or password incorrect." error. Once I change the password, I can log into the account and all emails are there, including new ones and there's no more problems with that account. My problem is, there's a few hundred email addresses and I don't have the passwords to all of them.

Is there a file somewhere that might not have transferred that I can get from the old server or is there something configured wrong on the new server?

2. madaboutlinux

madaboutlinux Well-Known Member

No, if you move the account using the WHM transfer option, you don't have to move anything extra. BTW, try restarting the courier services once you migrate the account and see if the problem occurs:

3. shann123

shann123 Registered

That didn't work. I just discovered that another domain that I copied the same way didn't even transfer the accounts and emails.

4. madaboutlinux

madaboutlinux Well-Known Member

Well, is the server you are migrating the accounts on is a new server OR does the server already have accounts running on it. I am asking it because, you could do a rsync migration of all the accounts at once instead of using the WHM transfer feature.

Regarding the email login issue, ask your hosting company OR hire a sysadmin to take a look at it for you, see if they can check what exactly cause the email login to fail after the migration.