The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Can't log into ftp...

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by sac-host, Jan 5, 2003.

1. sac-host

sac-host Member

hello all,
    I am a new user and this could just be a basic question, but i don't get it...

when i try to log-in to a domain through ftp is says it can't connect... i tried adding the @whatever.com to the username but still nothing... please help

i did search throught the posts, but couldn't find any help there

Jay

2. valle

valle Member

Im in the same boat. I also checked both boxes in cpanel to allow anonymous access. I have actually been working on this problem for 2 days. I have searched google and finally found a cpanel forum:) In XP it gives a check box for logging on anonymously, but that doesnt work either. I even tried creating a new ftp folder but tht doesnt work either.

Help,
    Valle

3. sac-host

sac-host Member

Valle: Who installed your Cpanel?

The cpanel.net team is working on this issue for me now, i'll let you know the outcome

Jay

4. valle

valle Member

my host installed it. Im beginning to think its not on my end. I wish I could get some laid out directions for the easyist way to create an ftp account, with a basic password and username. I created a new ftp account, with username and password but that doesnt work. I will copy anyones exact directions.

Thanks,
    Dominic

5. Website Rob

Website Rob Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Off the top of my end (and I'm just going to bed so not completly with it at the moment) I do believe Cpanel creates symbolic links and changes the norm for FTP setup.

What I do know is that one never wants to have Anon FTP access allow for file uploads -- in case one has accidently turned it on, so check to make sure. That is a well-worn method for a big security hole on the Server.

Hopefully, some kind soul ( with more knowledge than I ;) ) will post a better answer for you all.

6. valle

valle Member

I turned off anonymous ftp and created a new ftp folder in cpanel. I do notice when trying to ftp through XP it asks for user and not login. Could someone show me there FTP area ? Or give me an example of exactly what I should do. Or could it be my host? XP sees my folder I created it only lets me in with my Main Cpanel Password and usename, which I do not want to give out. Is it impossible for me to log into my own FTP area maybe?

Thanks,
    valle