The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Can't login from putty

Discussion in 'Security' started by eugenmt, Nov 23, 2010.

1. eugenmt

eugenmt Registered

Hello.
    My problem is that i am able to login in WHM with the root password but i can't login from putty with the same password.
    I mention that is my server, not a vps or a reseller account.
    Please tell me how can i do?
    Thank you!

2. cPanelJared

cPanelJared Technical Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    If you are not able to log in via SSH, there are a few possible reasons. One is that an ACL is restricting access. You can try to check for this by clicking Main >> Security Center >> Host Access Control. If nothing is configured there, then another possibility is that direct root access is disabled.

The best course of action is to contact your host or data center. Direct access to the server via console is the most efficient way to diagnose an SSH connectivity problem. The WebHost Manager does not provide the level of access needed to thoroughly diagnose this type of issue.

3. eugenmt

eugenmt Registered

My sys admin from data center can't acces the server from console.
    Could be an atack?

4. cPanelJared

cPanelJared Technical Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    There is a very wide range of possible causes for this problem. If you are able to access the server via the WebHost Manager, and it responds relatively quickly, then server load is not a likely cause.

Linux and Unix servers are usually accessible by console if someone can physically plug a keyboard and monitor, or a KVM switch, into the server hardware. Since you cannot access the server via SSH, only a qualified administrator with physical access to the server will be able to determine the cause. Since the server is not accessible remotely, it is hard to even speculate about the cause of the problem without direct physical access.

5. GaryT

GaryT Well-Known Member

Sorry to but in :p

Now to me it sounds like you was messing with the ssh config for changing ports and such, Now you can repair this via:

Replace the:

127.0.0.0 with your server IP.

I had the same issues when I broken my config :rolleyes:

Hope it helps and works,