The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Can't login to my cPanel.. help?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by TUbEStAR, Oct 9, 2010.

1. TUbEStAR

TUbEStAR Member

Hi,

Firstly, I am new to these forums so I apologize if this is the wrong place for this subject, but I would appreciate any help anyone can give me. I am having trouble logging into my cPanel account. Any time I try to log in, it tells me "Login Attempt Failed!" Now, I know for a fact that I have the right password. Is there a way I can do a password reset? or is there another way to resolve this issue?

Thanks for your help!

- Tanis

2. cPanelTristan

cPanelTristan Quality Assurance Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hi Tanis,

If you are not the administrator of the machine, you would want to contact your provider to ask that you have the correct username and password, then ask them to help you to troubleshoot the issue. Please note that root user cannot log into cPanel, so if you are trying the root username on port 2082 or 2083 for cPanel login, then that will not work. Only cPanel account usernames can log into cPanel.

If you are the administrator of the machine and have root SSH and WHM access and are still unable to access the cPanel account on port 2082 or 2083 with the cPanel account username and password, you could try to reset that username password in WHM > Password Modification. If that does not work, then you would want to open a support ticket at WHM > Support Center > Contact cPanel to have us assist further.

In root SSH, you might also want to check the error logs at /usr/local/cpanel/logs/error_log by tailing them while trying to log into the account:

Code:
    tail -f /usr/local/cpanel/logs/error_log
    Thanks.

3. TUbEStAR

TUbEStAR Member

I do believe I am the administrator. But to be honest, I haven't the slightest clue what SSH and WHM even mean :confused: The extent of my knowledge reaches basic HTML coding and how to use the cpanel interface to host a website. But I haven't logged into my cpanel page in a month or two, so is it possible that something has locked up due to my inactivity?

Thanks again,

Tanis

4. cPanelTristan

Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hello Tanis,

Your password wouldn't have locked up if you haven't logged in for awhile. Whoever provides your server should be able to help you figure out what's going on. If you aren't familiar with root SSH and WHM, then only your provider who has setup the machine or account for you can really help you to figure out how to get logged into it again.

Thanks.

5. TUbEStAR

TUbEStAR Member

I'm confused... I thought cPanel is the server provider. Is there a toll-free number I can call for further help? A password reset is the only thing I can think of. But other than that, I really don't know what else to do and it presents a problem because I need to make updates to my website.

6. cPanelTristan

Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    cPanel/WHM is not a hosting provider. It's on the control panel as we provide the software for your control panel that your host is using. We wouldn't be the ones hosting the site. You would want to look up who you are paying for the site or who is hosting your domain for you, they are the ones who are the hosting provider.

If you have misplaced your billing records, you could use the following website to try to determine who your web hosting provider may be:

http://www.whoishostingthis.com

7. TUbEStAR

TUbEStAR Member

Ok cool. Thank you. That helps :)
    Sorry for any previous misunderstanding.

8. TUbEStAR

TUbEStAR Member

Sorry to bring this up again but I haven't heard back from my host provider yet and I would like to double check about this... Are you sure it isn't the cPanel software that is giving me the trouble? Because when the log in page comes up, it is for logging into my cPanel control panel.

Here is a picture of what I see:

[​IMG]

9. cPanelTristan

Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Only your host can resolve the issue as only they have access to reset your password or check the errors on the machine when you try to log into the account.

We do not provide the hosting for websites, only the software, so we are unable to fix whatever is happening in regards to the machine due to being unable to access the backend for that machine.

An authentication failure could be for any number of reasons, including your host having changed your login password.