The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

can't manage top-level site with cPanel, only WHM, after install

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Fryth, Mar 10, 2010.

1. Fryth

Fryth Registered

Hi, I just installed cPanel with a test licence, but can't figure out how to enable access to the top-level site with cPanel. WHM is fine, and allows you to log in, but you can only create resellers with new (sub)domains, not add users to the existing domain that cPanel was installed to. I just want to be able to use cPanel to upload files, create mySQL databases, etc. with the regular account and domain.

So for example, let's say my website is www.abc123.com. I set up as a centos box and installed cPanel. The hostname of the box is www.abc123.com. I want to be able to log in to http://www.abc123.com:2082 and start using the File Manager. I can't figure out what account to do this with; if I log in as 'root', which works fine in WHM, it gives me an error.

Maybe I'm going about this wrong? Should the hostname of the box be, for instance, abc123.com (without the 'www'), and I want to be creating an account for www.abc123.com in WHM as one of the first things I do?

Thanks, hope it makes sense.
    Adrian

2. thewebhosting

thewebhosting Well-Known Member

What error message are you receiving at your end ? and also you will have to first host the domain abc123.com in your server through WHM. Moreover, regarding the http://abc123.com:2082 you can get access to the domain cPanel account so that you can manage your domain through this while WHM is used to host the domains and to manage all the cPanel accounts into your server.

3. Fryth

Fryth Registered

Thanks for your help so far. The error message I'm getting, when trying to log in as "root" to cPanel (at port 2082) is:

Code:
    Internal Server Error
    Could not fetch uid or gid for : root
    Other users work fine.

When I try to create a domain for abc123.com in WHM, I get the following error:

Code:
    Account Creation Status: failed (You cannot setup a domain that is the same as the servers hostname )
    This is from a minimal CentOS 5.4 install.

Edit, it appears as though my question is answered here:
    http://forums.cpanel.net/f5/internal-server-error-could-not-fetch-uid-gid-root-119277.html

I have to create a non-root user to log in with.

Edit#2: Allright, as I understand this, cPanel requires you to set it up under a hostname that you never intend to provide web services on. So now I'm setting up Cpanel as, say, cpanel.abc123.com. Then, I use WHM to create an account for the domain www.abc123.com.

#3 Fryth, Mar 11, 2010
    Last edited: Mar 11, 2010