Please whitelist cPanel in your adblocker so that you’re able to see our version release promotions, thanks!

The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!

Can't migrate server due to old version?

Discussion in 'Data Protection' started by elbeborandy, Nov 4, 2018.

1. elbeborandy

elbeborandy Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Website Owner
    Hope you're fine. I'm the administrator of a translation website. Back when we started I had a tech guy who made my website's programmation and all that stuff but right now he's not with me.

Now I have to move to another hosting company because this new one is an offshore hosting and when they told me that they were going go try to clone my VPS and all my settings (try to replicate, so I won't have problems), they said me they can't migrate my website because of the differences versions that I actually have.

Take a look at this:

1)\ibb.co/gYKYQ0
    2) \ibb.co/bGCnk0

Is this is true? I mean, they can't copy my VPS settings on older versions or something or this is just proof that this "support staff" is not good enough?

I would like to know your opinion because I don't know anything about this.

My actual version is:
    CPanel and WHM 11.52.0 (build 17). I guess is: 11.74.0.10

Thanks!

#1 elbeborandy, Nov 4, 2018
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 4, 2018
  2. GOT

GOT Get Proactive! PartnerNOC

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    It's rare to find a site that is totally unmigratable Yes your cPanel is very out of date and it does pose some challenges.

If you are running php 5.3 you should be able to migrate to a newer system. You would have to install cPanel and force it to use ea3 instead of ea4.

If your version of php is older then 5.3 then it gets a little worse. You would likely need a bare metal server with cloudlinux to run php < 5.3. This of course would be more expensive.

But I know from experience that in most cases the problems you are having can be overcome but there wouldn't be any 100% guarantee.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. elbeborandy

elbeborandy Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Website Owner
    Hi. Right now I have PHP 5.3.29. But I can't understand why the host company said me they can't copy my VPS settings into the newer versions of cPanel and WHM versions. New versions of cPanel and WHM doesn't allow PHP 5.3.29 or what?

4. GOT

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    Correct. By default cpanel on installation loads ea4 which has 5.4 as lowest version, however it is possible to still install ea3 instead during cpanel install.

Your window on this is closing though as cpanel is dropping ea3 support next month and it may not be possible to still do this after that

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. elbeborandy

elbeborandy Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Website Owner
    So, you're telling me that they (host company) should have the option to install (until now) my actual versions?

6. GOT

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    Technically yes for php but not necessarily for everything. Mysql would likely be newer but that shouldn't pose a problem.

Most hosts have limitations on what they will do though. You may need to hire a company that can handle complicated migrations like this.

7. elbeborandy

elbeborandy Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Website Owner
    Ok, thanks for your info.

8. cPanelLauren

cPanelLauren Forums Analyst II Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    I'm inclined to agree with @GOT here, especially if you don't have root access to the server I'd suggest seeking assistance to migrate the site to the new server.

9. elbeborandy

elbeborandy Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Website Owner
    Hi. I have full root access to my server right now.

10. cPanelLauren

cPanelLauren Forums Analyst II Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    Hi @elbeborandy

If you have root access to both servers (old and new) I'd suggest opening a ticket with us. We won't be able to perform the migration for you in most cases but we will be able to give you some advice based on your configurations an how best to move forward.
    You can open a ticket using the link in my signature. Once open please reply with the Ticket ID here so that we can update this thread with the resolution once the ticket is resolved.

Thanks!