The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cant remove nameserver

Discussion in 'Bind / DNS / Nameserver Issues' started by bdraco, Sep 28, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bdraco

bdraco Guest

[quote:142f90d65b][i:142f90d65b]Originally posted by thaphantom[/i:142f90d65b]

When I goto manage Assigned Nameservers, and I click on the x to get rid of one I get the following:
    Sorry, the nameserver ip xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx cannot be removing since it is till registered with a ICANN register.

How can I remove them, I went to setup and changed them, but they are still there under assigned nameservers...[/quote:142f90d65b]

You need to delete it from the register's database before you can remove it from WHM.

2. itf

itf Well-Known Member

If you want to delete ns1.domain.com & ns2.domain.com (nameserver)
    You can also in WHM -& DNS functions -& edit a DNS zone
    Edit domain.com zone and remove ns1 and ns2 A entries

But also you have to update your Host information within your registrar’s domain database.

3. rcthost

rcthost Active Member

I have a similar problem except the nameserver is from the host that had the server before me and the nameserver is already pointing to a different IP but still won't let me delete it. Would this cause the A entry popup window to pop up on every login? Because thats what is happening. Is there any other way to manually remove the assigned nameserver? I don't see it anywhere when I edit the DNS for my domain. I need that IP freed up I think it's causing major problems.

Help!

Thanks!!!

4. tloomos

tloomos Member

I'm having the exact same problem as rcthost. The big problem is that the IP that's being taken up by this defunct domain name is my main server IP.

I tried editing /etc/nameserverips, but when I access &Manage Nameserver IPs& in WHM, it regenerates the entry.

5. tloomos

tloomos Member

OK - I tried something different - I edited /etc/nameserverips and instead of removing the bad line, I changed the nameserver assigned to my main IP to ns3.mydomain.com. When I went to Manage Nameserver IPs in WHM it took the change and seemed ok.

So, I tried a test - backed up my nameserverips file, then went to the original and removed everything from it. Went back to Manage Nameserver IPs and whm regenerated the file - with the phantom domain name.

So, where is the Manage Nameserver IPs function in WHM looking to build the nameserverips file?

UPDATE:
    Finally found the problem (I think). The phantom domain name is listed in the nameservers of the datacenter where my server is located and is pointing to my server. That domain must have been on my server (or at least using my IP) before I got it. Requested the removal of those records - hopefully this will fix it.

6. mw123

mw123 Registered

Im currently having this problem. How would i delete it from the registar?

7. luna

luna Active Member

Hi,

I'm having the same problem.
    It's a new server.
    Wherer does a wrong name server come from?
    How can I delete it?

Thanks in advance :)

8. wtw

wtw Registered

DNS Issues Too

I believe that I am having the same issue :mad: any help :) would greatly be appreciated:

Errrors:
    Nameserver Ip Assignment
    Sorry, you are out of ips to assign as nameservers

Nameserver Ip Assignment
    Sorry, the nameserver ns1.mydomain.com already has the ip xx.xx.xx.xx assigned to it.

9. luna

luna Active Member

10. cass-oneworld

cass-oneworld Registered

I'm having the same problem, the dns are registered with enom, however, they are taking so long to clear the nameservers, I've requested new IP's (unused) from my datacentre. I'm also having a problem getting SSH to work, I've done everything my data centre admin have said to no avail.

Anyone have any ideas please. :)

Cass

11. luna

luna Active Member

Hi cass-oneworld,

From shell you need to delete useless name servers from /etc/nameserverips and add your name servers.
    After that, chattr +i /etc/nameserverips.

You may forget WHM.

Hope it helps. :)

12. bin_asc

bin_asc Well-Known Member

WOW, luna, you did it. Works like a charm :D I`ve been searching for this for quite some while now ....

13. brendanrtg

brendanrtg Well-Known Member

If your purpose is to REPLACE it with a new NS settings, you can do the following as root via ssh.

# cd etc
    # nano -w nameserverips

edit the entries accordingly and hit CTRL-X to save it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.