The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Can't seem to figure out how WHM/cPanel work together with MX / SPF records

Discussion in 'E-mail Discussions' started by angelleye, Dec 3, 2011.

1. angelleye

angelleye Active Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Twitter:
    I'm on a managed VPS and I've been having lots of issues with MX and SPF records on my websites. My hosting company can't seem to figure it out entirely, either, so I'm here seeking some information.

I create new accounts through WHM like usual. Everything seems to work ok as far as the original configuration of DNS when a new account is created.

The problem is that when I add MX and SPF records to the account via WHM they get completely ignored, and the MX records don't show up in cPanel for that account.

I just finally realized that if create the MX records via cPanel, they will indeed show up there and the records do kick in at that point.

The problem is the same thing is happening with my SPF records, but I don't see a way to create those via cPanel, so I'm really stuck there.

So, I've got a few questions at this point. How come I have to do MX records via cPanel instead of WHM? I haven't tested this yet, but what about A records? Will those get ignored if I create them in WHM as well? And how am I supposed to add an SPF record?

Any information on all of this would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

2. cPanelTristan

cPanelTristan Quality Assurance Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Re: Can't seem to figure out how WHM/cPanel work together with MX / SPF rec

You should be able to add SPF records in cPanel > Email Authentication area.

As for WHM adding records, do you show any error messages when you try to add them there in /usr/local/cpanel/logs/error_log location? Do those records show up in WHM afterward if you go back to the DNS zone in WHM > Edit DNS Zone area?

3. indezoo

indezoo Registered

cPanel Access Level:
    Website Owner

i have shared hosting account and cpanel as a control panel. i have shifted my email hosting to gmail. everything is fine, but i can't figure out how to update the spf records and domain key in the cpanel... any help appreciated?

4. ruzbehraja

ruzbehraja Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator

Is your Domains NS Server the same as your cpanel server? You need to check that first. Maybe you are making changes at the wrong place.

Which part of the SPF and DKIM setup are you not getting? Is it giving you some error in CPanel?

This should help:
    Authenticate email with a domain key - Google Apps Help