The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cant send email Perhaps you have not logged into the pop/imap server in the last 30 m

Discussion in 'E-mail Discussions' started by BianchiDude, May 16, 2006.

1. BianchiDude

BianchiDude Well-Known Member
    PartnerNOC

I have a client who can't send email, he gets this message all the time:
    Perhaps you have not logged into the pop/imap server in the last 30 minutes or do not have SMTP Authentication turned on in your email client.

He has logged in the last 30 minutes as he received a test message I sent to him and he verified he has "SMTP Authentication turned on in your email client" check in outlook express and sent me a screen shot of it.

Why can't this guy send?

2. Infopro

Infopro cPanel Sr. Product Evangelist
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Twitter:
    His ISP is blocking outbound mail. Tell him to use his ISPs outbound settings. Or get a new ISP. ;)

3. jackie46

jackie46 BANNED

Well, tell the client to make sure that the option "MY SERVER REQUIRES AUTHENTICATION" is checked in his email client.

4. webignition

webignition Well-Known Member

You might also want to check that their IP address is correctly listed in /etc/relayhosts as it should be there if they have POPed their mail in the last 30 mins.

If it's not being added, try restarting antirelayd.

5. GTFO

GTFO Active Member

Either that, or their mail client is not popping the server before trying to send mail. All of my cpanel servers use exim which basically require pop before SMTP. If you can't pop, you can't SMTP.

Theirs also the possibility stated before, that their ISP is blocking port 25. Have them go to http://whatismyip.com and get their IP. Do a host lookup for that IP ( host IPaddress) and that should give you a rough idea as to who their ISP is. SBC, optonline, earthlink, sprint, etc.. among many others, block port 25. In those instances have them contact their ISP and ask them what SMTP server they should be using. I would tell you to look it up yourself, but its a 3rd party problem, and the SMTP servers listed on the web are not always reliable.

Alternatively, if they are relatively comp. literate, walk them through a quick telnet to the server on port 25. On the command prompt (start -> run -> cmd + enter) , type the following command/syntax.

telnet domain-name.com 25

If it provides a welcome message, then they aren't blocked... if it doesn't, then port 25 is probably blocked at their ISP .