The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

cant send email to yahoo mail!

Discussion in 'E-mail Discussions' started by mehrdad abed, Dec 19, 2007.

1. mehrdad abed

mehrdad abed Well-Known Member

Hi
    I get this message when I want to send an email from my IP-BASED accounts (Name based accounts are fine) :

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

2007-12-19 17:28:05 1J57OW-0005yY-Dk ** john.smith@yahoo.com R=lookuphost T=remote_smtp: SMTP error from remote mail server after end of data: host c.mx.mail.yahoo.com [68.142.237.182]: 554 Message not allowed - UP Email not accepted for policy reasons. Please visit http://help.yahoo.com/help/us/mail/defer/defer-04.html[120]

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I think it's because of the ip mismatch between sender account and server IP (because all the emails send by the server IP address)
    So I set PTR records for the IP-BAsed account and the server both, but the problem still exists.

Do i need to add a spf dns record ? if so how should i do that,

Thanks

2. sneader

sneader Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    This is not a hard bounce, but rather, Yahoo is just saying they are "deferring" the connection. Next time your mail server tries to deliver, it SHOULD go through. Or maybe not. If you do some web searches, you will find a lot of people are having this problem. It appears they are using Greylist techniques to thwart spam, but Yahoo denies the problem.

If I were a Yahoo user, and wasn't getting my mail on a timely basis because Yahoo was delaying mail on purpose, I think I'd move to Gmail or something else. Or at least complain.

Anyway, what you are seeing is not unique and there is nothing you can do about it, as far as I know.

- Scott

3. mehrdad abed

mehrdad abed Well-Known Member

I know what you mean Sneader, but yahoo rejects the emails this time not just delaying deliver them :(

I doubt if it's because of server dns records, because named-based accounts have no problem sending email to yahoo,
    I even added spf and set PTR record for my account, but it doesn't work,
    I'm sure about PTR reverse record, how could i check if the SPF record works properly as well ? and how could i trace the problem if it's not a dns issue?

4. sparek-3

sparek-3 Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    I tend to agree with sneader in regards to this.

I have told all of my users that use Yahoo accounts or know someone that is using a Yahoo account that I would really recommend switching away from Yahoo. There's really no telling how many messages they aren't receiving at their Yahoo address. Not just from our servers but from other servers around the world.

Yahoo seems adamant that they are not using greylisting or have not made any changes that would affect normal delivery of messages. Perhaps if they begin to see their subscriptions and user base dwindle they will begin to rethink this and will actually look at the problem. I think this is the only way to get across to Yahoo.

I don't think that would actually happen, I don't think enough people will ever leave Yahoo to make this an issue. But there are a lot of other choices out there in terms of e-mail providers. Google is my personal favorite. I also realize that its not as easy as just packing up your Yahoo address and automatically switching to Gmail. If you have a lot of contact with your Yahoo address it can take a while to move to a different address. But if the Yahoo user is really concerned about the messages they aren't receiving, then this is really the only alternative that I know of.

5. SageBrian

SageBrian Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    unfortunately, I think Yahoo users would see it as the sending server's fault.
    They'll claim that they get mail from everyone else, so the sender must be the problem (us).

For some reason everyone now thinks that email should be as perfect as old wired phones. But somehow also magically remove all spam and only give them what they want with no side-effects.

it's funny how everyone seems to expect dead spots and dropped calls with cell phones, but insist email be more stable than electric companies.

6. AndyReed

AndyReed Well-Known Member
    PartnerNOC

Here is HowTo: http://servertune.com/kbase/entry/142/