Can't Send emails to hotmail

mealto

Oct 20, 2006
im using port 26 on my SMTP server as my ISP blocks port 25 unless i use their smtp server.

But ive just tried sending an email to hotmail and it is yet to come through!!

Dan
By default, hotmail deletes all spam that gets delivered into the SPAM folder. Turn off auto deletion and see if emails come through. I am getting these but they end up in the spam folder. For the majority of hotmail users who never bother to unset auto deletion of spam, our emails are as good as lost.

Anyone have a fix for this?

lloyd_tennison

Mar 12, 2004
Actually exactly the reverse it true. It keeps all junk mail for several days unless you specifically check the delete when junk box.

Just create a new hotmail account and you can see. The hew and cry of people would be ridiculous if that was the default.

lloyd_tennison

Mar 12, 2004
Have you signed up for the various monitoring service that Hotmail/MSN has so you can see exactly what they do and why with your emails? It's free and will answer almost all questions and problems. Just goto their postmaster desk and signup.

http://postmaster.msn.com

Popular topics:

1. My e-mail is being blocked by MSN Hotmail/Windows Live Mail or is being sent directly to the junk e-mail folder
2. My e-mail is showing up as “unknown sender” in the MSN Hotmail/Windows Live Mail interface
3. I want to sign up for your junk e-mail reporting program (feedback data)
4. I would like to learn more about your allow list/safe list options
5. I am having problems with my MSN Hotmail or Windows Live Mail account
6. What kind of junk e-mail filter does MSN Hotmail/Windows Live Mail use?
The junk mail reporting and their Smart Network Data Services solves most problems, Smart Network Data Services shows you a graph of your email, by day, and what is spam etc.

DrZEUS

Jan 24, 2004
Not sure if anyone has had any success but I have the exact same problem with sending mail from my server to hotmail accounts. Whether you directly email a hotmail account from any account on my server, or using a php script (ie. contact us) that has a hotmail account, NO EMAIL IS GOING THROUGH.

My exim mainlog shows the email going through fine but when checking hotmail it never comes in.

Anyone find a fix yet?

Last edited:

5stars

Oct 10, 2006
Not sure if anyone has had any success but I have the exact same problem with sending mail from my server to hotmail accounts. Whether you directly email a hotmail account from any account on my server, or using a php script (ie. contact us) that has a hotmail account, NO EMAIL IS GOING THROUGH.

My exim mainlog shows the email going through fine but when checking hotmail it never comes in.

Anyone find a fix yet?
You won't find the answer here, I've been searching for 3 months on this forum as my frustration grows.
No body really gives answers here, hey do that do this.
I have been folowing this forum for a couple of months now, I think it lacks some clear tutorials.
What I can tell you is that spf and ptr records did not help me, and they are set up corectly.
I even called hotmail , I have told them that I have set up SPF records and they told me that they can see that after I have sent out a test e-mail to a specific e-mail address that they told me to send to so they can read the headers.
The answer I got from them was " we just don't know why your e-mails are not resolving to the inbox, you have set up SPF records corectly but we don't know why our filters are stoping your e-mails and redirecting them in the junk folder"
As for the PTR records they are also set up and pointing to my IP as I requested from my ISP.
I also checked to see if I'm not black listed, and I'm not.

As for answers regarding problems with sending mail to hotmail and yahoo you won't find answers here, just opinions, you might as well get a profesional and pay him a small fee so he can get the job done, I know that is what I'm going to do.
This forum has some good answers, but when it comes to this issue it's not really a helping hand, this problem with sending out mails to yahoo or hotmail is old, and it's well known on this forum, and no one has provided real asnwers.

midavadim

Registered
Sep 8, 2005
Hi all!

If bounced mails contain following error:
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
SMTP error from remote mail server after MAIL FROM:<[email protected]> SIZE=1899:
host mx3.hotmail.com [65.54.244.72]: 550 Your e-mail was rejected for policy reasons on this gateway. Reasons for rejection may be related to content such as obscene language, graphics, or spam-like characteristics (or) other reputation problems. For sender troubleshooting information, please go to http://postmaster.msn.com. Please note:
if you are an end-user please contact your E-mail/Internet Service Provider for assistance.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
and you have SPF and PTR record then most probably you do not have all needed headers as it is requested in http://postmaster.msn.com/FAQ.aspx

2. Look for these lines of text in the message header: X-Originating-IP and X-Originating-E-mail.
For example:
Sat 02 June 2001 13:47:27 PST
X-Originating-IP: [123.4.567.89]
X-Originating-E-mail: [[email protected]]
[email protected]
3. If you are unable to locate both the X-Originating-IP and X-Originating-E-mail lines in the header of the message, this indicates that the message has been forged and is not from a legitimate account. MSN Hotmail and Windows Live welcome notification of these abuses, but cannot take action against individuals outside of our membership.

So to enable more X-Headers you should go to WHM:

Service Configuration -> Exim Configuration Editor
and enable checkboxes:

\/ Verify the existence of email senders.
\/ Use callouts to verify the existence of email senders.

and press SAVE

If fixed the problem for me. Also do not forget to add your email address to Whitelist on your hotmail account.

webabi

Registered
Apr 11, 2004
You can send mail to Hotmail % 100

If you want send to mail from your account to cpanel too easy...

How you can do SPF Record

Just do below information...

Go your whm panel

1-Click Edit DNS Zone ...
2-Find your domain and click for edit...
3-Add new dns zone line

For examples : Your domain name : abchost.com your server hostname : alto.abchost.com

First Line:

abchost.com. IN TXT "v=spf1 ip4:80.93.223.208 a mx a:alto.abchost.com mx:abchost.com include:abchost.com ?all"

Second Line :

alto.abchost.com. IN TXT "v=spf1 a -all"

And save......

Now you can send mail to hotmail .... never going to junk mail.....

Thats All :)

Best Regards

DJ XtAzY

Dec 23, 2006
If you want send to mail from your account to cpanel too easy...

How you can do SPF Record

Just do below information...

Go your whm panel

1-Click Edit DNS Zone ...
2-Find your domain and click for edit...
3-Add new dns zone line

For examples : Your domain name : abchost.com your server hostname : alto.abchost.com

First Line:

abchost.com. IN TXT "v=spf1 ip4:80.93.223.208 a mx a:alto.abchost.com mx:abchost.com include:abchost.com ?all"

Second Line :

And save......

Thats All :)

Best Regards

thanks for the tip, can u make sure if im doing it right?

In whm, i have a dns entry for my domain and my server hostname. I should just do the TXT for my domain right? Here are the steps i will perform.

domain: site.com
server hostname: music.site.com
mail server: mail.site.com (the mail and server hostnames both have the same ip 12.12.12.12, they are same machine)

site.com. IN TXT "v=spf1 ip4:12.12.12.12 a mx a:mail.site.com mx:site.com include:site.com ?all"
mail.site.com. IN TXT "v=spf1 a -all"

is that correct?

Last edited:

freedman

Feb 13, 2005
Just a note about hotmail - you can go through all their hoops and still have email deleted by them before it hits the recipient:
http://www.theregister.co.uk/2007/05/01/hotmail_friendly_fire/

even if it helps a little it's probably worthwhile.. plus, there's a slim chance MS will fix their software and it'll start working correctly at some point.

cpanel should probably look into making it easier to support SPF and DomainKeys.
it'd be no fun to have to go add the SFP crap to every new domain for every host.

I suppose one could edit the zone template to solve that problem tho.

MaraBlue

May 3, 2005
Carmichael, CA
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
Oddly enough, email from my server gets through to a Hotmail address, if it's a reply to an email which originated from that Hotmail address. When I initiate the email/convo to a Hotmail address, I never get a bounce, yet the email is never received, not even in the junk filter.

I've done numerous tests with my own Hotmail account, so I'm sure of the results. There was a rumour going 'round that email sent from Eudora v7.1.0.9 (which I use) didn't include a message ID in the headers and that was causing problems wit mail sent to Hotmail...but I haven't confirmed that as true yet.

EDIT: I've confirmed Eudora's latest (and final) release, 7.1.0.9, does not include message-ID's in outgoing mail. This has been confirmed in the Eudora user forums as well. Some ISPs add one, if you route your mail through your ISP rather than your own mail server.

Last edited:

freedman

Feb 13, 2005
Oddly enough, email from my server gets through to a Hotmail address, if it's a reply to an email which originated from that Hotmail address. When I initiate the email/convo to a Hotmail address, I never get a bounce, yet the email is never received, not even in the junk filter.

I've done numerous tests with my own Hotmail account, so I'm sure of the results. There was a rumour going 'round that email sent from Eudora v7.1.0.9 (which I use) didn't include a message ID in the headers and that was causing problems wit mail sent to Hotmail...but I haven't confimed that as true yet.
I've had mail from outlook go nowhere also.
there have been occasions where I'll resend the exact same message 2 or 3 times and then they get it..
strange that a solution to an anti-spam filter is to spam someone ... :(

Mejoramos.com

Feb 11, 2004
After of want time ?

First Line:

And save......

Hi,

I do exactly yours instructions.

And messages to HOTMAIL = Off.

This Ok when ? hours , days, weeks ?

Giannis

PartnerNOC
Jun 22, 2005
Hello

i am recieving this message from server when i send to hotmail

SMTP error from remote mail server after MAIL FROM:<[email protected]> SIZE=2088:
host mx1.hotmail.com [65.54.244.8]: 550 Your e-mail was rejected for policy reasons on this gateway. Reasons for rejection may be related to content such as obscene language, graphics, or spam-like characteristics (or) other reputation problems. For sender troubleshooting information, please go to http://postmaster.msn.com. Please note:
if you are an end-user please contact your E-mail/Internet Service Provider for assistance.

i do have spf record and everything is working well on server
also
Verify the existence of email senders.
Use callouts to verify the existence of email senders.
are checked

any help on this please????
Thank You

DrZEUS

Jan 24, 2004
sorry been a while since I replied...I forgot about this thread.

Entering an SPF record cured my problem.

Fernis

Oct 28, 2006
I can send to Hotmail, but email going to Yahoo is delayed and sits in the queue for several hours often times.

Lastqaurk

Jun 29, 2006
I can send to Hotmail, but email going to Yahoo is delayed and sits in the queue for several hours often times.
This is good development. What are your SPF records?

ispdomain.com =?
host.ispdomain.com = ?
customerdomain.com = ?
mail.customerdomain.com = ?