The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cant send mails to hotmail, even with SPF Record

Discussion in 'E-mail Discussions' started by sh4ka, Sep 8, 2007.

1. sh4ka

sh4ka Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    Hello,

I have 1 site on a dedicated server, this site can send mails to any server in the world, except to hotmail... I dont know why, each time we try to send a mail using a PHP Script (using nobody as user, as you can see in the code below) the server rejects the email sent to hotmail, this is the error:

Code:
    2007-09-08 21:24:13 1IUCT7-0004BE-7A ** [B]destinationuser@hotmail.com[/B] R=lookuphost T=remote_smtp: SMTP error from remote mail server after MAIL 
    FROM:<nobody@server.theserver.com> SIZE=31435: host mx4.hotmail.com [65.54.244.232]: 550 Your e-mail was rejected for policy reasons on this gateway.  
    Reasons for rejection may be related to content with spam-like characteristics or IP/domain reputation problems.  
    If you are not an e-mail/network admin please contact your E-mail/Internet Service Provider for help.  
    For e-mail delivery information, please go to http://postmaster.live.com

I checked and the server IP is not listed at any SPAM list, also domain has an SPF record that is configured like this:

Code:
    domain.com.      14400   IN      MX      10      mail.domain.com.

mail    14400   IN      A       89.XX.XX.XX
    www     14400   IN      A       89.XX.XX.XX
    ftp     14400   IN      A       89.XX.XX.XX
    server 14400 IN A  89.XX.XX.XX
    domain.com. IN TXT "v=spf1 ip4:89.XX.XX.XX a mx a:mail.domain.com ~all"

Is the SPF record well configured?, and the MX record, i think its OK... never had issues with this kind of config on normal sites..

Just in case it helps, at /etc/localdomains i have 2 sites, the server hostname and the site domain.com.

Im using RHES 4 + cPanel 11.

Thank you.

2. perfetto

perfetto Registered

I suffer from the same problem

3. HosToWeb

HosToWeb Member

Me too :(

all mails sent are placed on Hotmail's Junk Folder !!

4. t420tiger

t420tiger Registered

Same Problem Here

I Have the Same Problem For mulituple sites, anyone get anywhere with this issue?

5. Gene Steinberg

Gene Steinberg Well-Known Member

Hotmail is notorious for flagging good mail as junk. It probably has nothing to do with anything you folks are doing. It's a broken system, and the best I can suggest is that you not fret over your settings, assuming everything works with other mail systems, and contact Hotmail support to address the issue.

Been there, done that, and it's awfully frustrating.

Peace,
    Gene

6. SXR1337

SXR1337 Member

First Vista and now this...

He is right though , I was eating myself up looking at all the settings.
    Yahoo doesnt seem to have the problem..

7. Gene Steinberg

It's all Hotmail's fault. An SPF record never hurts, but it's a broken system that's responsible.

Peace,
    Gene

8. Gene Steinberg

9. Nhojohl

Nhojohl Well-Known Member

10. internetfab

internetfab Well-Known Member
    PartnerNOC

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    Anyone know how to actually get in touch with hotmail? We've tried by their email form here:
    https://support.msn.com/eform.aspx?productKey=edfsmsbl&ct=eformts

We got a response telling us we may or may not be be delisted - but there are some good pointers....

Well guess what, we're not listed anywhere else - only reason we can see is some accounts forward their mail to hotmail and probably tag spam sent through us.

Please guys, if anyone know how to get in touch with hotmail that would be awesome..

11. Marktek

Marktek Member

I always have to request through email, never got through on the phone. I guess they don't like calls. Kind of like calling their ISP support nothing but one circle after another. I worked for GTE and Verizon. Both have their own round about way of doing things. Usually, even at a higher tier it takes an act of congress to get to the administration end.

I have always reverted back to using the postmaster sections. Both are easy to google. To be honest getting your emails from being filtered is depending on your PTR record or DNS record.

If, you have a shared server environment you will go through hoops getting through the right setup so emails are not filtered.

If, you are running dedicated, you have a better chance of getting it resolved faster as the requirements can be easier met.

12. hostultra

hostultra Well-Known Member

The reason is your mail server is identifying as "server.theserver.com" and you have a SPF record for "theserver.com" but not for "server.theserver.com" :)

13. Bailey

Bailey Well-Known Member

No, that's not necessarily the reason. We have server.theserver.com properly set up in our SPF records ... makes no difference. All emails to Hotmail go in Junk.

Hotmail is junk.

:D Bailey

14. davidanand

davidanand Member

Hi I too suffered the same problem with yahoo, the emails got deffered but delivered delayed.
    After removing few domains from redirecting to a same email account the issue was fixed.
    but I want to know why it happens and any fixes ....

15. esse

esse Member

A few weeks ago I was asked to bump up the number of emails being sent at one time through a PHP mail client. If I recall it was something like 3000 emails every 5 minutes. Not one of these emails made it into a Hotmail inbox, but did not bounceback. This had never happened to our list before.

At the same time the company where I work was having the same problem, none of their emails was making it to hotmail.

In both situations we were dealing with subscription based newsletters double opt-in and both were transmitting about 3000 emails every 5 minutes.

Someone noticed that if you used the same transport to send 1 email it would make it into the Hotmail inbox.

It appeared to be some kind of timing issue causing these emails not to be delivered. Both servers have accurate SPF records and domain keys.

The long in the short of it both transports were reconfigured to send 1000 emails every five minutes with a 15 second pause after every 250 emails and all made it to Hotmail inboxes. Don't know if that was the fix, but it worked.

From what I understand unless a sender is on an approved list they are only allowed to open a set number of connections in a set period of time with Hotmail or the emails are dropped.