The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

can't send out mail from linux client; worked with Outlook

Discussion in 'E-mail Discussions' started by bullwinkle, Mar 30, 2005.

1. bullwinkle

bullwinkle Active Member

I am moving my desktop from MS Outlook to Linux. I was able to successfully send out mail with my many e-mail accounts. Now, under Linux, I can receive mail, but when I try to send mail, it says,

"sending of the message failed.

The message could not be sent because connecting to SMTP server mail.mysite.com failed. The server may be unavailable or is refusing SMTP connections. Please verify that your SMTP server setting is correct and try again, or else contact your network administrator."

2. sawbuck

sawbuck Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Do you have smtp authentication turned on in the Linux client?

3. bullwinkle

bullwinkle Active Member

secure authentication is turned off.

This might be part of the problem. In Outlook, I checked 'my server requires authentication,' but in Linux Mozilla Mail, if I check 'use secure authentication,' I get an error message when trying to receive mail. In outlook, I had unchecked 'log on using secure password authentication.' In Linux, I have unchecked 'use secure connection (SSL).' It seems I have tried all the combinations of these. Just now, I checked 'use secure authentication,' and tried to send. Still gave the same results.

Something else I am getting, though:
    'You have attempted to establish a connection with "mail.yoursite.com". However, the security certificate
    presented belongs to "your.host.com. (I do my own hosting)" It is possible, though unlikely, that
    someone may be trying to intercept your communication with this web site.'

I have had this message before, but just ignored it. My vendor gave me a script to run whenever this happened, but it kept happening once in a while. I don't have real customers right now, and it didn't really hurt anything. I will try fixing this and seeing if that makes a difference.

thanks