The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

can't ssh to server

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Stanleytiew, Jul 23, 2005.

1. Stanleytiew

Stanleytiew Well-Known Member

I having problem with server load maxed for the past few day, every time after rebooting the server it back to normal, but today after rebooting the server for several times server load go to maxed again. I try to ssh to the server but failed, however I can access my WHM root and all web site and email for my client is working well. I need to access to ssh to remove log files that may cause the problem for the server load to go maxed.

2. aby

aby Well-Known Member

Try restarting the service sshd from WHM

---

3. Stanleytiew

I already restart ssh server from WHM, but still failed to login using SSH. I'm using putty for ssh, any help.

4. kaosent

kaosent Active Member

Long shot

There could be a variety of reasons that may be causing the sshd process to hang during the login process, and many of them are OS and software config dependent quirks,etc. Without some OS and system specs, I am not certain, but will venture a guess. I don't believe that the ssh issue is caused by CPanel/WHM since it is working fine.

You mentioned needing to delete log files and really really high server load.... is the partition full? What processes does WHM show as responsible? Are you certain that you have not changed anything that could possibly prevent you from logging into ssh (i.e. firewall, changed password, changed the ssh port, etc.) ?

You may try disabling several services in WHM service manager (chat server, email, etc.), especially ones that may be continuously trying to write to a log file on that partition. Just be sure not to disable httpd or WHM may be a little hard to use if a reboot is needed ;) ), then reboot the box and try to ssh in. I have had to do similar things in the past, although not on a box w/ CPanel yet.

5. Stanleytiew

Thank you very much for your help, everything working well after I stop the services from WHM service manager, I can now ssh to the server. My server loads also go down after I stop the services. I going to remove the log files that I suspect cause the server load to go up until 18. I spend more than 8 hours figuring out what wrong but didn't think of the service manager in WHM. Anyway thank you very much.