Can't stop spam emails on ONE email account

maddog80

Feb 18, 2015
cPanel Access Level
Website Owner
Hello community,

I have been having the worst time trying to stop spam (generally 10 emails) for only 1 account that I have on the same server.

I don't know why this is, but I have contacted the hosting company and they have made changes but it hasn't helped.

I also went through various steps at trying to adjust scores and blacklist to no avail :confused:

What can I do to fix this issue?

[removed]

an example of the settings I have in my spamassasin. I also noticed I don't have the option to rename headers for whatever reason.

Thank you in advance everyone!!

D

Attachments

Last edited by a moderator:

maddog80

Feb 18, 2015
cPanel Access Level
Website Owner
That screenshot was taken from my cpanel control panel in the advanced spam assassin section. The settings used were taken from a web hosting website FAQ about configuring spam assassin....not that it has helped much though :(

Any tips?

maddog80

Feb 18, 2015
cPanel Access Level
Website Owner
/https://www.a2hosting.com/kb/cpanel/cpanel-mail-features/unwanted-e-mail-spam

Its my first time using cpanel so it seemed like a good resource to follow.

maddog80

Feb 18, 2015
cPanel Access Level
Website Owner
nothing, they still get through. the issue is that there are always new types of spam emails coming through so blacklisting isnt the key.

maddog80

Feb 18, 2015
cPanel Access Level
Website Owner
It was set to Discard and the account is a different one from the email in question.

However, I am trying to edit the user level filters for the email in question and although the filter is telling me:

The Filter has matched the following condition(s):
$header_from: contains onlinedoctorate

it still tells me: Filtering did not set up a significant delivery.
Normal delivery will occur.

So, does this confirm that although it did match a filter, it will still deliver it normally?

maddog80

Feb 18, 2015
cPanel Access Level
Website Owner
OK, so I tried to make a new set of user level filters, it seems that it is now rejecting the test messages. So I'll give it a few hours and see if it helps.

I'll report back

maddog80

Feb 18, 2015
cPanel Access Level
Website Owner
ok, so after having created a user level filter with about 40 lines of text to catch the spam emails, I've pretty much managed to stop incoming mails. However this seems like a lot of work to do for other email accounts. I don't understand why the emails are not being caught by spam assassin?

Is there a guide to how to set up spam assassin that isn't just a FAQ?

thank you

cPanelMichael

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 11, 2011
Hello :)

There are several options available in "WHM Home » Service Configuration » Exim Configuration Manager" that you might find beneficial for preventing SPAM if SpamAssassin is not effective enough:

Exim Configuration Manager

Thank you.

cPanelMichael

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 11, 2011
Yes, I suggest consulting with your hosting provider about how to proceed to address the issue.

Thank you.

cPanelMichael

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 11, 2011
Without root access, there's not much you can do in terms of customizing Exim to block domain names from a list in a file.

Thank you.